Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default French Toast Casserole

"MotoFox" > wrote in message
> Quoth Julie Bove~
>
>> I'm going to make this now:
>>
>> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sugar-f...le/detail.aspx

> Hmmm, I'll have to try that sometime. Looks good.
>
> Only I'd substitute the appropriate amount of sugar for the yucky
> sucralose (bletch), add a decent amount of raisins and serve it for
> dessert over vanilla ice cream.

We try to eat low sugar here, hence the Splenda. And nobody likes raisins.
I have not bought ice cream in a long while. I don't like it myself but it
seems that the other two were addicted to it. Literally. If I bought it,
it was gone in an instant. Daughter asked me not to buy it. If we don't
have it, she won't eat it. I think husband discovered the same thing. He
has not asked for it for a long time. Daughter did ask for a very small
single serve container a few months ago. She had a sore throat. I did buy
that and bought one for her dad. But that's it. They don't even get it now
in a restaurant, even if it is free.

>> House will smell nice when the trick-or-treaters come but I'm afraid we
>> might not get many. Looks like rain out there.

> So, how was your turnout?

I didn't count and we missed two big groups because husband just sat there
and didn't answer the door. By the time I got there, they were gone. I did
do the math and based on what remained, I'd say that we got about 65 kids.
The Sour Patch Kids went first. *Note to self, buy two boxes next year*.
Then the Skittles. Not too many of the Twizzlers went. The year that I had
the long ones, they were well liked. But I bought the Nibs this time. Full
sized packages. I got them at Winco and that is the only form that they
sell. Won't get those again either. And nobody took the Snyder's pretzels.
*sigh*

> I only had a pathetic 28 drop-ins last night, a far cry from the 75-80+
> I'd easily get within an hour down at the apartment complex. (Guess I'd
> forgotten how much housing-area Hallowe'ens suck!) Weather down here at
> 2030 PDT (closing time) was partly cloudy and dry, ~58 degrees. Some fog
> over the fields.

I don't know where these kids came from. I only answered the door about 7
times and they all were Latino. I only know of one Latino family near us.
Their daughter is a year younger than mine and she did not come. Lots of
very little kids. No little kids that I know of that live near us. We did
get one bunch that we know. The girl is two years younger than my daughter.
They used to be friends but grew apart as they aged. She has two younger
brothers. But... Daughter is 15 now and not too many kids of that age go
out. Some do but this year we didn't see many older ones at all and no
adults. I bought the pretzels for the adults because in the past we got
what appeared to be homeless people just looking for food.