Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Fresh Express shredded leaf lettuce.

On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 23:30:56 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>That's what they had at Target today. In the past, I have bought the
>shredded iceberg which I prefer but it always goes brown not long after I
>open it and sometimes is brown even in the store, in which case I won't buy
>it. The bag said it was great for tacos and other things. Well... It was
>not great on my tostada. Iceberg just seems the lettuce of choice.
>
>Yes, I know I could have purchased the whole head but it would likely go to
>waste.

A head of iceberg costs what, maybe $1.79 at most but typically 99¢...
how difficult is it to shred a few leaves on a cutting board... can't
take more than a minute to shred a big handful. And even if you don't
use it all it's gotta cost less than those pre shredded bags... and
pre prepped greens are as filthy dirty as pre ground meat. If yoose
knew from where those pre prepped greens come to be you'd never eat
any, especially not from restaurants that buy it by the truck load....
it's the harvest salvage what's been run over by tires and stomped
into the dirt, swished some in a big vat of filthy water, chopped and
bagged... no wonder there are always recalls from it spreading
foodborne disease.