Posted to rec.food.cooking
Leonard Blaisdell[_2_] Leonard Blaisdell[_2_] is offline

Default Tomatoes

In article >, "ViLco" >
wrote:

> How is your salsa cruda? I often make raw aglio olio e peperoncino where I
> almost always add diced tomatoes: EVO oil, garlic and red hot pepper, let it
> in a dish for some hours and then use over pasta. The diced tomato is a nice
> addition

Apologies for the delay. I got the recipe from "Cuisine of the American
Southwest" some years ago. Since I don't glance at the recipe in the
book anymore, I'm comfortable spouting off my hazy interpretation which
works fine.
You need:
six three inch wide fresh tomatoes or the approximation
three approx. 2 1/2" wide tomatillos or more if smaller
one healthy jalapeņo, seeded and deveined or more if you want
one medium onion. I use yellow
at least a half cup chopped fresh cilantro. That's a half cup after
chopping.

I use a food processor to process everything but the cilantro which I
add at the end. I chop and stem the cilantro by hand. Yes, I know
cilantro stems are fine as is, but I put I prefer not to have them.
First I process the onions until they just won't quite fall through a
collander and rinse the result while in the collander. Then I process
the jalapeņo to the same grind and add to the onions.
I then process the tomato and tomatillo together to a reasonable
consistency, add the onion and jalapeņo back in and mix or pulse with
the food processor till blended. Then I salt to taste. A tsp or less.
This is the only food that my wife tolerates fresh cilantro in. In fact,
she insists on it for salsa cruda.
I suppose I could just add all the ingredients to a food processor
without the extra steps, but I like what I do.
It's outstanding with tortilla chips and on eggs. I realize that
cilantro haters may come out of the woodwork to dis me on this.

leo