graham

Default ALMOND PASTE MADE AT HOME

"Stelios Iko" > wrote in message
> Howdy!!! Wondering if anybody has produced successfully almond paste at

home
> and has a good recipe. I do own a Kenwood Major stand mixer and a food
> processor, greek almonds are fantastic and cheap, but I have a premonition
> it could be somehow tricky. In Greece we have french almond paste at delis
> but a more careful look at the label gave me the creeps(too many
> chemicals).To make it worse it's cloyingly sweet.
>
> Thnx to all of you. It's a wonderful forum!!!

Almond paste is usually very sweet. The recipe I use every xmas is as
follows:
200g icing sugar
200g caster sugar (or you could use icing sugar for a smoother paste)
400g ground almonds
1 egg, lightly beaten
2.5ml/1/2tsp almond or vanilla essence (Optional - I leave them out)
Lemon juice

Sift the sugars into a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients with enough
lemon juice to make a firm but manageable dough. Knead until smooth. If
your eggs are very large, you may have to add extra almonds and/or sugar -
it's not critical.
I usually buy ground almonds for this but I have blanched and skinned whole
almonds before putting them through a meat grinder. I suppose you could use
the food processor to grind them.

HTH
Graham