Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What cereal to eat for Breakfast?

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>

>> Karen, I think you may have mis-heard the doctor. Ketone bodies are
>> formed in the liver as a result of fat break-down - the fatty acids are
>> converted to ketones in the liver - first and fore-most (after depletion
>> of glucose stores). Conversion of muscle protein to ketones is way down
>> the track. If you have ever been on a weight loss diet or fasting (or
>> even normal overnight fasting) then you have produced ketone bodies.
>> FWIW, even when I was doing very low carb at the beginning of my type 2
>> diagnosis I only barely registered ketones on a pee stick. Most times
>> none showed up. Of course that doesn't mean I wasn't producing ketones,
>> just that the concentration wasn't high enough to register. Just like you
>> won't see glucose in your urine until your bg is quite high. The only
>> time you would start to lose muscle is when the body runs out of fuel
>> sources, as in prolonged starvation (as in little to no food - faster
>> obviously if one can't get water either), and protein in muscle becomes
>> the food source. The body is designed in a way to prevent muscle loss, we
>> need muscles to move. Low carbers are not starving and I seriously doubt
>> there are any low carbers out there that lower their protein levels
>> drastically. Eating plenty of protein ensures that the muscles are
>> maintained properly. There are protective metabolic processes in the
>> body that preserve the body for as long as possible, using muscle protein
>> as a very last resort. Once muscle catabolism starts you could probably
>> safely say you are close to death. Slim people will get to that point
>> faster.

> I believe this bears out both what she said that the Dr. said and what my
> CDE said.
>
> http://www.ehow.com/facts_7357509_ha...hydrates_.html
>
> ---------
>
> Unfortunately that site is way off mark. This is the sort of stuff I read
> in op-ed parts of the newspaper, not from scientific journals.
> Biochemistry is rather easy to understand (and a very exciting branch of
> science) and any search amongst publications like Pubmed etc will explain
> the citric acid cycle (Kreb's cycle) as part of human metabolic pathways.

But it is exactly what is repeated again and again by Drs., dieticians and
CDEs. Have also read the same in countless books and magazines.

I just did a search on carbs and how many we need to eat in a day. I didn't
put up any links because nothing seemed to agree with anything else. There
were the staunch low carbers who claim that we don't need them. Then there
were those with a bunch of garbledeegook but never went beyond perhaps
giving a percentage and then saying that it was debatable. Then one gave a
range of numbers. Apparently you don't need many carbs if trying to lose
weight. But if not trying, you need a lot of them!