Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl Ozgirl is offline

Default What cereal to eat for Breakfast?

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> Karen, I think you may have mis-heard the doctor. Ketone bodies are
> formed in the liver as a result of fat break-down - the fatty acids
> are converted to ketones in the liver - first and fore-most (after
> depletion of glucose stores). Conversion of muscle protein to ketones
> is way down the track. If you have ever been on a weight loss diet or
> fasting (or even normal overnight fasting) then you have produced
> ketone bodies. FWIW, even when I was doing very low carb at the
> beginning of my type 2 diagnosis I only barely registered ketones on a
> pee stick. Most times none showed up. Of course that doesn't mean I
> wasn't producing ketones, just that the concentration wasn't high
> enough to register. Just like you won't see glucose in your urine
> until your bg is quite high. The only time you would start to lose
> muscle is when the body runs out of fuel sources, as in prolonged
> starvation (as in little to no food - faster obviously if one can't
> get water either), and protein in muscle becomes the food source. The
> body is designed in a way to prevent muscle loss, we need muscles to
> move. Low carbers are not starving and I seriously doubt there are any
> low carbers out there that lower their protein levels drastically.
> Eating plenty of protein ensures that the muscles are maintained
> properly. There are protective metabolic processes in the body that
> preserve the body for as long as possible, using muscle protein as a
> very last resort. Once muscle catabolism starts you could probably
> safely say you are close to death. Slim people will get to that point
> faster.

I believe this bears out both what she said that the Dr. said and what
my
CDE said.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7357509_ha...hydrates_.html

---------

Unfortunately that site is way off mark. This is the sort of stuff I
read in op-ed parts of the newspaper, not from scientific journals.
Biochemistry is rather easy to understand (and a very exciting branch of
science) and any search amongst publications like Pubmed etc will
explain the citric acid cycle (Kreb's cycle) as part of human metabolic
pathways.