Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What cereal to eat for Breakfast?

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 10/11/2013 07:50 PM, Karen wrote:
>> Just this week I had a doctor tell me when you do not
>> get enough energy from carbs your body starts breaking down muscle and
>> then you spill ketones into the urine.

> Hi Karen,
>
> You (or someone else) is paying out the nose for those doctors.
> Of course follow what they say.

If a person has insurance then it might not be that much OOP.

> Are you sure that is what the doctor said? If you google
> "Inuit paradox" you will find that the Inuits don't have
> any carbs at all. Carbs are not necessary for humans.
> My GP laughed and said I was correct when I mentioned
> the Inuits. (He was happy I am low carb, rather than constantly
> trying to cheat the regimen. He does not like having to
> amputate legs.)

Are you an Innuit, Todd? I know you won't see this because you had me KFed.
I'm thinking, no because you said you are Jewish and I've never heard of a
Jewish Innuit.

I have been reading a lot of books on diet and nutrition lately and a lot of
a person's diet relates to where they are. There could well be something in
the water or the soil of where the Innuits live that factors into this.

And even though I am not Karen, I am pretty sure that this is what the Dr.
said because countless other people have said this.

Your Dr. might tell you to low carb. But I've only ever heard one Dr. say
that the body does not need carbs. This was not said to me and the person
he said it to was put on the South Beach diet which is not low carb although
all carbs except for beans are restricted in the beginning phase.

> Your liver will manufacture whatever glucose you need. And
> you spill keytones into your urine when you fast (you feel
> hungry when this happens). You also blow them out your
> breath. You will smell like fruit punch. It comes from the
> breakdown of your own stored fat. (Keyto sticks are
> really cheap at Wal mart, if you want to monitor yourself.
> They are over by the diabetic test strips.)

And if you're like me and try to low carb, your body will kick out more
glucose to compensate. And you'll wind up with high BG.

> Here is a nice article on keytones:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketone_bodies
> "Ketone bodies are three different water-soluble,
> biochemicals that are produced as by-products when
> fatty acids are broken down in the liver for energy..."

The word is ketones. If you're trying to come across as an expert, you
should at least use your spell check.

> I think possibly you heard your doctor wrong. Maybe
> next time you see him, you should ask him about the Inuits
> and where keytones come from. If that is what he really
> said, you may wish to do some research on your own.
> (I would get another doctor, but that is only me.)
> But, I think you heard him wrong: it is a major screw up.

OMG! Just freaking OMG!

> And, when I said "learn to cook", I meant as/for a diabetic.
> If your diabetes is such, and we all have our own personalized
> diabetes, that you can eat the modern diet then more
> power to you. All I can say is that if you go back to
> Paleo, you will probably feel better and your diabetics
> will possibly be easier to handle. Perhaps not.

Diabetics cook just like everyone else. And just how many diabetics is she
handling and why?

> And if you can eat high carb, this is probably not
> the best place to publish your recipes. There is a
> really nice cooking group for regular folks too (T0's).

Who died and put you in charge of this group? Anyone can post any recipe
they want here. There is nothing off limits to a diabetic as a whole. But
some people find they have issues with certain things. It's all a matter of
portion size. Yes, that portion may be only one bite so for that reason
some people choose not to eat it.

> And I only kill file nasty people who like to pick fights.
> So, you are not kill filed. People can disagree with each
> other without being disagreeable. It is actually fun to
> learn from others. Let us start over. Hello, my name is
> Todd. I am a NIDDM (non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus
> or non-insulin dependent type 2 diabetic). I am currently
> drug free and hope I never have to go on drugs again.
> I control my T2/NIDDM with diet, natural medicine, and
> fishing (exercise that is fun). I love to cook diabetic/Paleo.

You need to put yourself in the KF then. This is not a Paleo newsgroup.
It's a diabetic newsgroup. And when it comes to diabetes, one size does not
fit all.

> Now your turn. I am Karen ...

You are Karen? I am confused.