Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What cereal to eat for Breakfast?

"Trawley Trash" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 7 Oct 2013 14:58:14 -0700
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>

>> "Trawley Trash" > wrote in message

>> > Everyone has food allergies, whether they know it or not. Most of
>> > them show up as long-term chronic conditions (like diabetes) that
>> > doctors cannot treat. Instead they prescribe symptomatic relief
>> > like pain killers or insulin that do nothing for the underlying
>> > condition.

>> No, everyone does not have food allergies. If by allergies you mean
>> IgE allergies. In fact most people do not. Now there is highly
>> debated evidence of late that IgG reactions, aka intolerances may in
>> fact be allergy related. But do most people have those? Probably
>> not. I suspect that most people can eat what they want. But many
>> people have to avoid at least one food for some reason. And that
>> reason is most likely not IgE or IgG related.

> Yes, I do mean IgG allergies along with IgE allergies. There are
> others too like IgA and IgM. The Ig stand for "immune globulin."
> If it is an undesired immune response, then it is an allergy.
>
> The reason IgG allergies are hotly debated is that the IgG blood tests
> show that everyone has allergies. Most doctors claim these are "false
> positives," because there are no symptoms. The problem is they don't
> recognize that high BG can be one of the symptoms.
>
> I back in school studying biochemistry, because doctors
> have been no help at all. I won't be posting here as much.

We most assuredly had symptoms. For me, egg gives me extreme diarrhea and
stomach pains. So extreme that I will never touch anything that I think
might have a remote chance of egg in it. Dairy? Diarrhea to a lesser
extent. And if I keep eating it, like I did for most of my life, then I
will also have skin problems and go through Kleenex like you wouldn't
believe. Then eventually I will get ear and sinus infections. Oats give me
an itchy rash. Mint? Makes me sick to my stomach and when used in dental
preparations, tooth sensitivity. I can't remember now what clove does to me
but I did have a reaction to it when I ate some pickles that contained it
the other day. I remember having a reaction, just don't remember what. Not
sure about lovage, thyme of some of the other things. Some, like lamb, I
never ate. And I ate the others so infrequently and in such a small amount.
Plus I was eating combined problems. So that can make it hard to ferret out
the problem.

So while I was having symptoms, I didn't relate them to food for most of my
life. Why? Because I always had these problems from birth. I was just
told, that was the way I was! I assumed that everyone felt like crap all
the time. And I used to wonder when I saw people smiling. Like... How can
they be so happy when there stomach hurts so much?

We only made the connection to milk after my physician told my mom to stop
giving it to me. She used to make us drink it at meals even though I always
hated it and she told me that I had been allergic to it as an infant. My
stomach did get some better and my acne got a lot better? The problem? My
mom was still giving me milk! In the form of cheese and stuff like mashed
potatoes and macaroni and cheese. To her, avoiding milk means that you
don't drink a glass of milk. She never considers (still doesn't to this
day) that milk used as an ingredient could hurt you.

I didn't fully make the connection to the other things until I totally
stopped consuming them. I discovered the egg on my own. At first, I mostly
followed Angela's diet. I didn't avoid wheat in the form of bread or
occasionally crackers, or in something like a gravy at a restaurant. But
for family meals, I made them totally gluten free. But I ate no dairy and
eggs. I didn't get totally better then because I was still consuming some
things that *I* shouldn't have. Like almonds. I didn't get fully better
until I was tested. By that point I had added dairy back in but not eggs.
I have told the story here before about eating the egg salad and having a
violent reaction to it. Thought it was food poisoning but then when I tried
egg again and had the same reaction, that was it for me and eggs.

I then foolishly added dairy back in after a retest showed a problem. And I
should have known. I was having a reaction but didn't want to know about
it. I really wanted to eat that cheese!

Then the last testing showed even more problems. I am considering getting
tested yet again due to sinus issues. Angela and my husband both became
sick with respiratory things. His was like a cold. Hers was just a bad
sore throat with only a little bit of sinus stuff. I thought I had escaped
it but I came down with it after they got better, despite dosing myself with
faux Airborne.

That was over a week ago. My nose is still running a lot. Like it is
allergies. I don't feel really sick and I never got the headache that they
got. I did feel like spending a couple of days in bed. And I had no
appetite. That stuff has resolved but the nose is still running. So now I
don't know if it is something in the air or a food that I am eating. I do
have allergies to mums and try to avoid them but they are everywhere this
time of year.

Anyway... The point I was trying to make is that if you have multiple
problems with foods, and you continue to eat those foods, it can be next to
impossible to tell which foods are the cause. Plus I think your symptoms
can be diluted. But once you've eliminated those foods for a year or two,
and you eat them again, one of two things can happen. Either you'll outgrow
the problem, like I did for a while with dairy, or... Your symptoms will
hit you harder than ever. For me, some things cause a fairly immediate
response, like oats. But others, like egg will cause such a delayed
response that it can be hard to relate the response to the food.