Posted to alt.fan.jai-maharaj,soc.culture.indian,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa
Beans-- Beans-- is offline

Default Corrected , was "The First Vegetarian Thanksgiving"

Jay stevens,aka dr. jai etc. is so uninformed on real history as to be
taken by this nonsense:

"The legend that one hundred odd English men and women who
landed at Plymouth Harbor feasted on turkey and all the
trimmings is a myth. When they first arrived, on November
11 1620, the settlers had so little food that they raised
the houses of the Native American inhabitants and made
off with stores of beans and corn. There was simply no
animal flesh to be had. It is likely that the first
Thanksgiving would have had to have been a vegan one,"

Now let us consult what we really know from documents of the time:

'What Was on the Menu at the First Thanksgiving',

an article in the Smithsonian magazine:

Today, the traditional Thanksgiving dinner includes any number of
dishes: turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, candied yams, cranberry
sauce and pumpkin pie. But if one were to create a historically
accurate feast, consisting of only those foods that historians are
certain were served at the so-called "first Thanksgiving," there would
be slimmer pickings. "Wildfowl was there. Corn, in grain form for bread
or for porridge, was there. Venison was there," says Kathleen Wall.
"These are absolutes."

Two primary sources--the only surviving documents that reference the
meal--confirm that these staples were part of the harvest celebration
shared by the Pilgrims and Wampanoag at Plymouth Colony in 1621. Edward
Winslow, an English leader who attended, wrote home to a friend:

"Our harvest being gotten in, our governor sent four men on fowling,
that so we might after a special manner rejoice together after we had
gathered the fruit of our labors. They four in one day killed as much
fowl as, with a little help beside, served the company almost a week.
At which time, amongst other recreations, we exercised our arms, many
of the Indians coming amongst us, and among the rest their greatest
king Massasoit, with some ninety men, whom for three days we
entertained and feasted, and they went out and killed five deer, which
they brought to the plantation and bestowed on our governor, and upon
the captain and others."