Pinky

Default Oak in Sauvignon Blanc

Joe ,
I like the idea of extracting the "oak" flavour by "marinating" it in
vodka. This is exactly how I make my "Chilli Gin" which I use as a condiment
in my cooking -- both during cooking and as a additive/dressing to prepared
food on the plate. The alcohol leeches the flavour from the chillies in days
( my chilli Sherry takes months to mature to the same effect).
It sounds a good idea and enables you to oak a finished wine and the
additional alcohol needed to oak , say, a 23 litre carboy would hardly
effect the abv of the finished wine.
I shall try it in future.

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire, England
"Joe Sallustio" > wrote in message
om...
> That's a toss up. I oak mine, but I like oak. It's pretty easy to
> over oak whites, but I would never say a white needs oak in general.
> Sauvignon Blanc is good both ways as far as I'm concerned. You can
> add it any time, so there is no down side to not putting it in now.
>
> Here is a suggestion. Throw all of that oak in some vodka to extract
> the oak flavor, let it sit for a few weeks. You could pull off a
> sample of your kit and add a bit of this extract to one sample and
> leave the other unoaked, then see what you prefer. The wine will
> change over time, but it will get you in the ballpark.
>
> Whatever you do keep the kit topped up with wine, keeping air away
> from your young wine is always a good idea.
>
> Regards,
> Joe

. com>...