Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick Janet Bostwick is offline

Default Cauliflower

On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 10:48:15 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 12:31:50 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:
>
>> On 9/14/2013 12:24 PM, sf wrote:
>> > On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 10:39:58 +0100, "Ophelia"

>> > No raw bell pepper, celery or cucumber?
>> >

>> That raises the question of *cooked* cucumber. I only know one recipe
>> for that, stir-fried, Chinese style (it's quite good.)

>I adored cooked cucumber when I was in China, but haven't tried it
>here at home because I think our cucumbers are too different. Google
>images of Chinese cucumbers and you'll see what I mean. Would you
>mind sharing your recipe anyway?

I've been trying for years to find out what my mother made. She
prepared the sliced cucumbers in a large cast iron skillet. The sauce
and cucumbers were brownish -- kind of like the color of sauerkraut
cooked with some sort of meat. I was very young when she made it
frequently. It was probably German.
Janet US