katie

Default What do vegans eat when they go out?

"Hannah" > wrote in message

> I apologise in advance for my ignorance, but do vegans have extreme

difficulty
> in going out for food?

i don't find it so difficult. i just know what kind of places i would have
trouble in, and try to avoid having to go there, ie. i know i'd have trouble
eating breakfast at a greasy spoon, so i wouldn't put myself in that
situation, if i could help it. one of my all time fav foods is chinese, and
i find it pretty easy usually to find vegan foods at chinese places. if i
have a choice, i stick to my fav restaurants, cause i know it'll make life
easier. otherwise though, if i'm stuck in a place without much to eat, i
always try to look for stuff like salad, baked potato, (usually the only
viable thing in the place!). most important, i just stay chill about it
all. i don't expect anything, so if i find something yummy to eat, awesome.
if not, whatever. i don't really care. the only time i get ****ed off is
when there's an easy and obvious veganizable option and no one will
accomodate it. like yesterday, at school (the food contract went to a
company that sucks, so the food is more sucky, more expensive, and less
veg-friendly), i tried to get a sandwich at this sandwich bar. they have
vegetables, hummus, and multigrain bread at the place. but they won't mix
them together for me, since it's 'not on the menu.' even when i said hell
charge me as if i'm eating one of the sandwiches with all the expensive meat
n' cheese on it. so even though i was going to pay more for what they
consider to be toppings on a bun, they were so anal about the 'menu' that
they wouldn't do it. in the end, they said 'only this once, but never
again, cause we have to follow the 'menu.' that kind of rigidity drives me
nuts. i always really appreciate it when a restaurant will be creative to
come up with an option that i can eat, when it is within their means, if
they don't already have one on the menu. even if it's as simple as bringing
me olive oil & vinegar to make a salad dressing if the house dressing has
dairy in it. that always makes my day, when people are nice like that.
anyhow, i'm going to try to get the campus food service to put that new
veg-friendly sandwich on the menu, since it's a frigging university. more
crawling with vegans that most places, i figure. we even had a
pay-what-you-can vegan food service run by the students before the anal and
backwards frigging admin (under pressure from the anal food company) shut it
down. gahhh....sorry, this turned into one giant rant! ps, i think it's so
awesome that you cared enough to ask how to accomodate vegans at your job.
that's so cool. seriously, if you just try to think something up, i'll bet
most vegans will be thrilled with the effort. and a stir-fry is easy and
always yummy, veggies n' tofu type thing. baked potato and steamed
veggies...hmmm...a really good salad...sauteed veggies in a bit of olive
oil...like mushrooms etc...i dunno. anything vegetabley that you have
around, made without any animal stuff in it (eggs, dairy incl. milk, butter,
cheese, mayo etc, gelatin, meat incl. fish, seafood, chicken etc). and
hopefully everyone will be good n' easygoing.