Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cauliflower

On 9/12/2013 9:09 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to
> make it taste of err something.
>
> Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms
> in oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>
> What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?

I eat raw cauliflower in salads and also like the traditional cheese
sauce on boiled cauliflower. There are several Indian recipes that I
make quite often but here is a favorite.

Indian Cauliflower With Egg
I recently bought a very large cauliflower because it was good and
cheap and I was then faced with cooking it. This recipe is very good and
is reminiscent of a family one we used to have moderately frequently.
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 crushed garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (jalapenos work too)
Salt to taste 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander 2 eggs (I used one container
of Better 'n Eggs)
1 1/2 cups cooked cauliflower (a bit meager: I used half a large one)

The original recipe calls for frying the onion in vegetable shortening,
I microwaved for 4 minutes, then cooked on low with the garlic in an
olive-oil-squirted, non-stick frying pan until the onion showed
browning. Add turmeric, ginger, peppers, coriander and cauliflower. Mix
and cook on medium for 4 minutes. Add eggs, stir well and cook 'til done
(about 4 minutes more).

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.