Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Janet is offline

Default Aldi Beef = Horsemeat?

In article >,
says...

> On 2013-09-07,
> wrote:

> > I missed anything that showed the science was there to prove it's the
> > badgers fault. It seems such a drastic course to take.

It's a trial, in one county in England. It does not mean, the entire
UK badger population will be wiped out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badger_...United_Kingdom

> Brits are famous for their high quality badger shaving brushes: Rooney,
> Simpson, Vulfix and Edwin Jagger. They come in different grades of
> badger hair; from so called a pure badger grade, via best and super, to
> the traditionally most prized silvertip, and the newest 'finest' grade
> which is all the rage lately. All massively exported to US.
>
> I am not telling brushes are the only reason for hunting badgers. But
> one of the reasons at least.

Far from being hunted, badgers have been a protected species in UK
for 40 years, and they have no natural predators here. As a result, in
some areas of UK their population level is now very high. In those
areas, there's a serious problem with bovine TB in both badgers and
cattle. 28,000 cattle were destroyed last year after they tested
positive for TB

The USA also uses wild-life culling to control TB in cattle where
wildlife infection is a problem.

http://tinyurl.com/mpyog4s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycobac...ates_of_Americ

"In the United States, M. bovis is endemic in white-tailed deer
(Odocoileus virginianus) in the northeastern portion of Michigan and
northern Minnesota, and sporadic import of the disease from Mexico. Only
the white-tailed deer has been confirmed as a maintenance host in the
Michigan outbreak of bovine tuberculosis, although other mammals such as
raccoons (Procyon lotor), opossums (Didelphis virginiana), and coyotes
(Canis latrans) can serve as spill-over and dead-end hosts. The fact
that white-tailed deer are a maintenance host for M. bovis remains a
significant barrier to the US nationwide eradication of the disease in
livestock. In 2008, 733,998 licensed deer hunters harvested
approximately 489,922 white-tailed deer in attempts to control the
disease spread."

Janet.