Posted to rec.food.cooking
mawil1013 mawil1013 is offline

Default Aldi Beef = Horsemeat?

On 9/7/2013 7:15 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> And what is "withdrawn beef"?
>
> http://www.theguardian.com/business/...-beef-products
>

> We don't have Aldi here. I have shopped at one twice in PA. It was
> small and in those days had no produce or fresh meat. If I bought any
> food at all, it was something canned and probably vegetables. Can't
> remember. Did buy two cans of off brand diet soda and a stuffed lion.
> No, we did not eat the lion! I do have a friend in Chicago who shops at
> Aldi regularly but am not sure what all he buys. I know that he buys
> pretzels and bagels.

I believe that to be a European issue, "We believe that the two
particular cases of the frozen burgers from Tesco and the lasagne from
Findus are linked to suppliers in Ireland and France respectively. We
and the Food Standards Agency are working closely with the authorities
in these countries, as well as with Europol, to get to the root of the
problem," he said.

But anyway, back in 1974 when stationed at Brunswick Naval Air Station.
Beef was very expensive, word on base spread of a butcher in Lewiston,
ME that was selling horse meat, roasts, steaks and ground. I started
consuming the ground horse meat of which I found out was healthier than
beef and had a sweeter flavor. The butcher even had horse luncheon
meats! There was even a sign that it was USDA inspected, although that
doesn't mean any thing today, back then it may have.

Michael