Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl Ozgirl is offline

Default Todd's coconut pancakes

"Todd" wrote in message ...

On 09/02/2013 03:05 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "KROM" wrote in message ...
>
> you could use this batter for coconut shrimp..
>
> run shrimp thru batter and then roll in shredded coconut and fry..yum!
>
> -------------
>
> That sounds delicious, and fry in coconut oil I was just thinking,
> after reading Todd's pancake recipe... His recipe shows x amount of
> fibre. I want to know if fibre still counts when you are using a
> flour.
> If the coconut or whatever is finely ground I can't see how there is
> fibre. Therefore, to my way of thinking, one can't reduce the total
> carb
> amount by subtracting the "fibre". Anyone?

Hi Ozgirl,

You can not substitute grain flours and coconut flours. The
hygroscopic properties of the two vary dramatically. That is
why the extraordinary amount of eggs in my recipe/formula.
Increasing the cream from 1/4 cup to 1/3 cups ruins the
batter. As I said before, it took me a while to get this down.

The fiber note is only there because, now that I do not eat grains
(like psyllium husks, oat bran, etc.), for my digestive health,
I need to know how much fiber I am getting from other sources.
(Could that sentence be any longer?) My favorite fiber is the fiber
I get from cocoa powder. One has to drink the cocoa to get the fiber.
And, a guys has to do what a guy has to do. :-)

I do not subtract the fiber from the carbs, as carbs minus fiber
is a good was for a diabetic to get into trouble. The carbs are
still there. They are just "time released". So, you can not
have any more carbs for the rest of the day or your blood
glucose will rise and rise and rise as the day goes on. My
GP and I had a long conversation about this. He is quite disdainful
of the practice and of Atkins for pushing it.

Plus, you keep trying to use the poisonous stuff and don't force
yourself to learn the new stuff. Me, I plan on learning how to
cook really, really well, so that I am never tempted to add back
those poisons to my diet. And, thanks to all of your guys, I
am making progress.

Two substitutes I like for flour breading are Parmesan cheese and
ground pecans. Cheri has a great recipe for parmigiana chicken.
(I will post it, with my mods/comments, if anyone is interested.)

For gravy, just use meat dripping, chopped onions, and optionally
mushrooms, and cream. So, so rich and yummy. Much better than
wheat flour and corn flour. And, virtually zero carb.

-T

-------------------

I have never used cream in a gravy for ground meat as Cheri posted.
Biggest reason I guess is that I cook for 8, 7 of them young adults who
have hollow legs and me who eats moderately, lol. I use cornflour to
thicken dishes like that, especially for Shepherd's Pie. Usually though
we just eat plain protein plus salads and each couple cooks for
themselves (I mostly cook for just me and my daughter who has Down
syndrome). Every so often I do a big roast and cook for the lot.
Spaghetti Bolognese is another large dish I do every so often. I don't
pay too much attention to how much fibre is in a food but I do tend to
eat mostly fibrousy foods anyway.