Matt Probert

Default So if I can't overdose on tea, can I get drunk on it?

On Mon, 17 May 2004 14:59:56 +0000 (UTC) Rick Chappell
> broke off from drinking a cup of
tea at Dept. of Statistics, Univ. of Wisconsin to write:

>Well, "parson's tea" is tea with a bit of rum or whiskey in it. I
>believe it was generally drunk to give the appearance of
>abstemiousness without the corresponding burden of complete sobriety.
>But I have just tried to look it up in the OED without success, and
>although I do not always limit myself to words which appear in the
>dictionary this does void my usual warrantee.

Indeed, while the term 'parson's tea' may be plausible, not only is it
not to be found in the OED but it is not to be found in any slang
references either. It seems to be a little used, or localised
expression.

Matt

--
If your encyclopaedia doesn't list "widget glass", you're reading the wrong encyclopaedia.
The Probert Encyclopaedia. Its not the same.