Posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food
bill clinton bill clinton is offline

Default Things to buy at HEB (was: Ping Sqwertz)

Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 16:50:17 -0500, ChairMan wrote:
>
>> Yo Steve,
>> Goin to be near a HEB this weekend and wondered what you
>> would
>> reccomend pickin up?
>> Is the HEB mesquite lump any good? It's on sale for 4.92
>> Their fully cooked brisket is on sale too. Which is
>> better the
>> mesquite or Texas style.
>> I know their meat is pretty good and they have Tbones on
>> sale.
>> I've had their ribeyes and they were excellent and their
>> beef smoked
>> sausage was good too.
>> Anything else you'd reccomend?

> Arriba(?) brand lump 6.6lbs for $2.97/bag (comes in 20lb
> bags for even
> cheaper down south). It has a cowboy with a lasso logo on
> the front.
> I can't vouch for the HEB branded lump - never used it.

Can I get it at HEB?
If not, i'll be given it a try(HEB) it's gotta be as good if
not better than Kroger brand lump

> Texas PORK ribeyes - short end of the boneless pork loin
> with both
> dark and light meat for $1.98/lb sold whole in 5" chunks
> or in
> packages of 3/4" steaks.

I'll look for them

> Award-winning "HEB Specialty *Carolina* BBQ Sauce"
> ($2/bottle). Get
> two of them, at least. You have to get this if nothing
> else.

I picked up a couple three of them in Stephenville a couple
a weeks ago along with the 2 Franklin Sauces.
I also got the other HEB flavors, Texas, Kentucky Bourbon
and Memphis. Hadn't tried any yet except for the Franklins
Original.
I had higher expectations for it, but it was okay

> Their ice cream is high quality at $2.50/qt or $4.49/half.
>
> Bloody Mary's? Love Clamato? Pick up a 64oz/jug of their
> Clam-Tomato
> Cocktail from the juice aisle ($2.49). Pick up some
> "Farmers Market"
> (Best Maid) Bloody Mary pickles, too (you can probably get
> those in
> your bum****, Walmart TX, too! ;-)

The wife might like that

> Also, their pre-smoked briskets are quite edible but not
> worth the
> money compared to buying fresh-smoked beef at the BBQ
> joints like John
> Muellers. They used to be $2.99/lb but now cost 8$-$12/lb
> and come
> pre-sliced (you DONT PRESLICE BRISKET!)

Hey, I've seen you use it on a few of your sammiches or is
that just because yer without a smoker right now?
And yes, fresh is ALWAYS better, but I'm cookin a couple of
pastramis and some ribs this weekend and there won't be room
for a packer cut

> HEB brand frozen Italian meatballs. $2.97/13oz(?) bag or
> $6.97/32oz
> bag. Awesome with some of their $.20 bolillos from the
> bakery and
> some provolone, swiss, or motz.

I'll check 'em out

> Their sale USDA Select beefsteaks I never buy. They cut
> them too thin
> when on sale. I'd more likely buy a tri-tip, slice and
> marinate that
> for stir-fry. They sometimes have great deals on USDA
> Prime ("HEB
> Prime") if you hit the right store on right day. They are
> competitive
> with CostCo on their Prime but not all HEB stores carry
> Prime.

The ribeyes I picked up at the HEB in Cleburne were a little
thin, but had great color and were really good.
Maybe I'll look at their tenderloins and cut them up into
filets myself

> What, you just want me to meet you there? :-)

Nah, actually the wife liked some of their house brand stuff
enough that we're just goin to do a run to HEB in Waxahachie
or Ennis every
5-6 weeks, depending on which one has better Q joints for
lunch,. the mileage difference is only 6 miles so the Q
availability will be the deciding factor

> Disclaimer: All the prices I mention are the "every day"
> prices in
> Austin. Not sale prices.
>
> -sw

Thanks for the info and if I get the HEB lump, I'll let ya
know if it's how it is.

BTW: I've tried the tortilla pizzas you talked about several
times and them SOBs are good
Crisp 'em on one side, flip 'em add sauce and fixens then
cover until cheese melts good. Nice crispy thin crust