View Single Post
  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster

Default TN: Champagne, Val d'Aosta, Anderson Valley, Santa Ynez

On Tuesday, August 27, 2013 2:13:46 PM UTC-4, DaleW wrote:
> Was supposed to hang with some friends Friday, but host was sick, so I stopped by market for some fish. With swordfish, broccoli,& grilled corn, the 2008 Les Cretes “Cuvee Bois” Chardonnay. I liked this more on a previous try- the oak seemed less integrated with a bit more bottle age. Good acids, full bodied, but despite the acids some buttery notes, and an overlay of vanillla B-
>
>
>
> With roast chicken, squash, caprese, & green salad, the 2009 Copain “tous Ensemble” Pinot Noir (Anderson Valley). I found this rather disappointing at first- some interesting red fruit and smoke, but thin and disjointed, I actually switched to leftover rose for the meal. But I liked much better after a couple hours of air (and it showed fine on day 2 as well). Light to medium body but with ample red fruits, mineral, smoke notes. B+/B
>
>
>
> On a gorgeous Sunday, I had Ahi steak, green beans with tomatoes, and leftover squash, with the 2012 Stolpman Rose (Santa Ynez) Crisp, fresh, lighter styled, I’d buy again. B/B+
>
>
>
> Monday Betsy was finally home for good after a peripatetic summer, she said she would take care of dinner. I was a bit perplexed by the ham and arugula canapes, sushi, and baby bok choy combination (turned out she was teasing me about a dream I had reported- and since forgotten). I opened the NV Paul Clouet Grand Cru Brut Champagne to celebrate her return. Big, toasty, a touch oxidative, this is not really my preferred style of Champagne, sure others would like more. . B-
>
>
>
>
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

I guess I never really warmed up to Copain wines. I found them often to be thin and disjointed with a bit too much candy apple and cola for my tastes..