Originally Posted by Sqwertz View Post
On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 23:52:07 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:

I thought about electric and propane, but I really do like playing with
charcoal.

I hear you. But I just can't find one locally. I ordered one online
last year and it came in all smashed to hell. So I won't be trying
that again.

-sw
Not sure how yall are fixed for wholesale grocery distributors..but we have two big ones in this area one called Sysco Foods and the other Ben E. Keith who also happen to be a big beer distributor. At any rate they peddle charcoal to restaurants and delis etc. They have some very good Mexican Mesquite lump which comes in 40 lb bags. Ideal fodder for big pits but the chunks vary too much in size to be useful in small water smokers. The latest brand I got from them is called Chefs Choice. Was about 12 bucks per bag last I checked. Sysco tends to be a bit crappier about dealing with non commercial purchases..so it can be ordered and delivered to any kind of store..restaurant..hospital..jail..school..bar etc..which buys stuff from them and where a person might have a friend willing to help them snag some...and picked up on the premises. Ben E. Keith is a bit more rational and has a public purchase dock where you can step and fetch it yourself at a higher price plus sales tax etc. Anyway just some angles to pursue on that. If you ever run into any B&B Charcoal from Texas. Stay away from it. Highly nasty stuff. Best of fortunes.

http://www.manta.com/c/mmn0mpl/chef-...quite-charcoal

Last edited by bigwheel : 26-08-2013 at 07:40 PM