Posted to rec.food.cooking
George Leppla George Leppla is offline

Default A whole new world of food?

On 8/20/2013 8:41 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> I have heard that people who have the gall bladders removed can eat all
> sorts of foods that used to cause them gastric problems. I will get to
> test that, not that I have joined the club. Last week I developed a
> gastric problem that got progressively worse. My nephew's wife had
> complained about a stomach flu and she told me it lasted 4 days.

I am glad you got to it early enough that you didn't have major
complications. I'm guessing they did it laproscopically... a vast
improvement over the old open method.

One hint... while you can eat anything you want, avoid eating a lot of
fat for a while. Your gall bladder acts as a metering device, adding
bile to your digestive stream in measured amounts to help digest fat.
When it is gone, when you eat fat, that triggers the liver to make bile
which is then dumped into your digestive stream all at once. That much
bile will irritate your intestines and they will flood with liquid to
dilute the irritation... and you may well experience explosive, urgent
diarrhea.

Not fun and kind of scary if you don't know why it is happening. Two
weeks after my gall bladder surgery I had a wonderful dinner of fried
chicken, french fries... you get the idea. What happened about 30
minutes later was almost legendary.

I hope you have a quick and easy recovery.

George L