Old 19-08-2013, 01:01 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Gotta Get a New Smoker

On 8/18/2013 9:53 AM, bigwheel wrote:
'Janet Wilder[_1_ Wrote:
;1857872']Hi there my favorite Q gurus.

I know I had posted this a few months ago, but brain ia aging and I have

completely forgotten everything.

I had pretty good success with a Brinkmann Gourmet green bullet smoker,

but living here in way-the-heck-South Texas, the bottom of the dang
thing rusted out and I need another smoker.

Should I just go to Lowes and buy another or should I try some other
brand in a similar price range. I'm talking between $80 and $125 at the

highest.

I use sand in the water pan and lump charcoal. I have a remote
thermometer and charcoal starter chimney and a cover for Brinkman
Gourmet #1.

There is an entire brisket in the freezer and a couple of corned beefs
begging to be transformed into pastrami.

I'm dong some chemo for a surprise case of small cell lung cancer and
it's working, but I want to do something nice for DH who has been so
awesome through this s--t.

TIA for your help.

Y'all know that I named my home made BBQ sauce "AFB" after all of you?

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Well the pic in the link shown does not appear to be a Brinkmann Gourmet
model..but rather a cheaper and more cumbersome unit which I think is
called a Smoke n Grill or something similar. In everyday phraseology
they are called ECB's..meaning el cheapo Brinkmann. My favorite cooking
instrument is an electric Brinkmann Gourmet (red in color.) No nasty old
charcoal or propane needed. Just need a few wood chunks and an electric
plug. Walmart and Academy Sports normally sells them for less than a
hundred bucks. I would not trade mine for all the tea in China..but they
tend to be a bit wind sensitive so in certain conditions insulating
helps maintain the heat. I put a big washtub down over the top of
mine..or when It really gets nasty outside I dunk a 55 gallon barrel
down over the top with the bottom of the barrel resting on a few bricks
to make a gap where a little heat can escape. The smoker lives in the
barrel when not in use. Best of fortunes on the medical issues.
'Gourmet Electric Smoker & Grill (810-7080-K) | Brinkmann'
(http://www.brinkmann.net/products/de...tem=810-7080-K)

I did consider the Brinkmann electric, but the reviews pointed out the
difficulty with wind and I live in a very windy area. I'm not big
enough or strong enough to wrangle barrels and such, so I think I'll
just get me another Brinkmann Gourmet.

Thanks for the input and the good wishes.