PENMART01

Default Cornstarch vs. Flour?

AzuReBlue > writes:

>I was wondering what the difference is between using cornstarch to
>thicken something vs. flour. Is there any? Can I use cornstarch
>in place of flour with no noticeable effect?

"noticable" is the operative... flour will create an opaque sauce, with a matte
finish, cornstarch clear and glossy... but flour thickened sauces will remain
thick indefinitely whereas sauces thickened with cornstarch will in a
relatively short time (perhaps an hour or less), depending on ingredients
contained therein, will become watery.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon