Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa
Dr. Jai Maharaj[_1_] Dr. Jai Maharaj[_1_] is offline

Default U.S. vegan population doubles in only two years!

Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

http://www.occupyforanimals.org/us-v...two-years.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/26/di...nia.html?_r=2&

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...n7211309.shtml

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Diabete...ory?id=2244647

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7301188.stm

http://www.satyamag.com/sept05/mostprec.html

http://www.consciouschoice.com/1995-...lifestyle.html

> [...]
> psychological heart of animal exploitation; and thus 3.,
> bringing about widespread veganism is the key to ending
> the greatest current injustice. (There are, of course,
> far more people who don’t agree with that assessment,
> even among fellow activists.) Many of these people feel
> so strongly about this that they believe they need to
> dedicate their entire lives to this process. However, the
> economics and logistics of the situation are such that
> only a few, if any, individuals can do this work in an
> obvious fashion and still survive, let alone thrive.
>
> However, it is not necessary, or even desirable, that all
> concerned people be full-time activists. From an entirely
> practical perspective, if not for the generosity of
> hundreds of people with nonactivist jobs (including some
> very progressive professionals), Vegan Outreach would not
> exist, and hundreds of thousands of people would not have
> read Why Vegan?
>
> From a broader perspective, however, changes in society
> need to be continued and expanded by thoughtful people.
> At some future point, the perfect veggie burger and the
> “cheesiest” uncheese will be of greater importance to the
> further progression of veganism than Why Vegan? and
> similar tools. Additional advances in medical technology
> will nullify the need for the use of animals in research.
> Contraception and delivery methods will stem deer and
> other “game” animal overpopulation, and better video
> games may actually satisfy adolescent male bloodlusts
> which in prior times took place on the hunting fields.
> Personal computing (desktop publishing, the Web, etc.)
> have helped Vegan Outreach and others reach new
> audiences, and further advances will help with the
> further democratization of information (countering the
> advertising budgets of McDonald’s, the Dairy Board,
> etc.). Improvements in energy efficiency and alternative
> energy sources will protect the environment. Better urban
> planning will lessen suburban sprawl’s impact on wildlife
> habitat. New philosophers will help advance human ethics.
> Educators, in just about any field, help advance the
> human condition and humans’ relationship to others;
> education, in general, breaks down prejudices, decreases
> birth rates (easing overpopulation), and opens minds.
>
> These are just a few of the fields where people can make
> a significant contribution to the advancement of a better
> world. None of these careers may be as glamorous as being
> Ingrid Newkirk or Peter Singer. However, in addition to
> improving various aspects of the world in one’s field and
> earning money (for example) to print more copies of Why
> Vegan?, each one of us will be able to influence many
> people over the course of our lives. To create a better
> world, it is of more use to be respected by ten people
> whose lives you have changed (and who each subsequently
> go on to influence ten other people, etc.) than to be
> lionized by thousands of activists who already think as

http://www.veganoutreach.org/article...eganworld.html

Vegan Bodybuilding and Fitness

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi