Old 10-08-2013, 05:18 AM posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa
Dr. Jai Maharaj[_1_] Dr. Jai Maharaj[_1_] is offline

Default U.S. vegan population doubles in only two years!

Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

In article [email protected],
Peter Terpstra posted:
[
[ U.S. vegan population doubles in only two years
[
[ By Hope Bohanec
[
[ According to a new Harris Interactive study commissioned
[ by the Vegetarian Resource Group, the number of vegans in
[ the United States has doubled since 2009 to 2.5% of the
[ population. An amazing 7.5 million U.S. citizens now eat
[ vegan diets that do not include any animal products - no
[ meat, poultry, fish, dairy or eggs. Close to 16 million,
[ or 5%, identify as vegetarian, never eating meat, poultry
[ or fish.
[
[ If this rate continues, vegans will be 10% of the U.S.
[ population in 2015, 40% in 2019, and in 80 % in 2050!
[
[ This would mean an end to the exploitation and suffering
[ of billions of farmed animals. The study also revealed
[ that 33% of U.S. citizens are eating vegetarian meals a
[ significant amount of the time and ordering vegetarian
[ meals at restaurants, though they are not vegetarians.
[ That is over 100 million people, one third of the
[ country!
[
[ Interestingly, the demographic breakdown of the study
[ discovered that it was equal percentages of Democrats and
[ Republicans eating vegetarian. Perhaps these two parties
[ CAN agree on something - the vegan lifestyle is healthy
[ and compassionate.
[
[ Conscientious eating is going mainstream so if you
[ haven’t already, reduce or eliminate your consumption of
[ animal products-everyone’s doing it!
[
[

http://www.occupyforanimals.org/us-v...two-years.html

Dhanyavaad for your post!

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

Making Vegan a New Normal

J. Emilio Flores for The New York Times; Anais Wade and
Dax Henry for The New York Times; Axel Koester for The
New York Times

From left, vegetarian sashimi from n/naka; Kathy Freston,
a high-profile advocate for veganism, dining at Craig's;
the quinoa burger at Golden Road Brewing. More Photos »

By Jeff Gordinier
NYTimes.com
September 24, 2012

Slide Show

In Southern California, Courting Vegans and Vegetarians

It was a warm California evening in the city of West
Hollywood, and Kathy Freston was sipping a martini.

"Just because you're a vegan doesn't mean you don't want
to have fun," she said, sitting in a booth at a
restaurant called Craig's. "I'm a decadent gal. I want to
drink. I want to feel full at the end of a meal. I just
don't want it to have any animals in it, for a variety of
reasons."

Tall, slim and golden-tressed enough to be mistaken for a
movie star, Ms. Freston is the author of books like
"Quantum Wellness"*and "The Lean," and a high-profile
advocate for veganism. She strives to consume nothing
that can be traced back to sentient creatures: no meat,
no eggs, no dairy.

But chilled vodka with extra olives? No problem. Nor did
she have any qualms about eating from a menu that
includes an 18-ounce bone-in rib-eye steak.

Craig's, hatched last year by Craig Susser, an alumnus of
Dan Tana's, the age-defying hangout on Santa Monica
Boulevard, is not a vegan restaurant. It represents a new
culinary wave that can be felt all over Southern
California, that reliable ripple-generator of so many
national trends: the omnivore's restaurant that courts
vegans and vegetarians (particularly the glamorous and
powerful ones who are a crucial engine of the dining
economy here) by preparing meatless dishes that surpass
the droopy steamed-vegetable platters of yore.

"You picture vegan restaurants with a lot of people with
sandals and dreadlocks, drinking carrot juice," said
Ellen DeGeneres, who stopped by with her spouse, the
actress Portia de Rossi, to chat with Ms. Freston. Here
at Craig's, the mood was more high heels and blond locks.

In fact, from power tables in Beverly Hills to pubs in
the San Fernando Valley, the surging popularity of plant-
based diets is drastically changing the dining landscape.
That shift is under way in various cities around the
world, but it's happening in an explosive way in and
around Los Angeles: at the elite gastronome magnets, at
casual gathering spots and everywhere in between.

Continues at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/26/di...nia.html?_r=2&

McCartney Presses India On vegan Day

Paul McCartney Urges Indian Prime Minister To Declare National Day Of
Vegetarianism

Associated Press
CBS News
Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Indraprasth aka New Delhi (AP) - Outspoken vegetarian
Paul McCartney is urging India to declare a national
Vegetarian Day to celebrate meat-free living and
compassion toward animals.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals says
McCartney sent a letter to Indian Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh saying such a day could save animals while helping
to protect both the environment and people's health.

McCartney's letter says "it would be a celebration of
life."

The U.N. food agency in 2003 estimated 42 percent of
India's 1.2 billion people are vegetarian, due mostly to
financial and religious concerns. Strict Hindus and Jains
do not eat meat.

Singh's office could not immediately confirm receipt of
McCartney's letter Tuesday.

More at:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...n7211309.shtml

Vegan diet reverses diabetes symptoms, study finds

By Maggie Fox
Reuters
ABC News
July 27, 2006

[Caption] The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has
found that Americans don't get nearly enough fruits and
vegetables in their diets. fruits and vegetables
(Clipart.com)

Washington (Reuters) - People who ate a low-fat vegan
diet, cutting out all meat and dairy, lowered their blood
sugar more and lost more weight than people on a standard
American Diabetes Association diet, researchers said on
Thursday.

They lowered their cholesterol more and ended up with
better kidney function, according to the report published
in Diabetes Care, a journal published by the American
Diabetes Association.

Participants said the vegan diet was easier to follow
than most because they did not measure portions or count
calories. Three of the vegan dieters dropped out of the
study, compared to eight on the standard diet.

"I hope this study will rekindle interest in using diet
changes first, rather than prescription drugs," Dr. Neal
Barnard, president of the Physician's Committee for
Responsible Medicine, which helped conduct the study,
told a news conference.

An estimated 18 million Americans have type 2 diabetes,
which results from a combination of genetics and poor
eating and exercise habits. They run a high risk of heart
disease, stroke, kidney failure, blindness and limb loss.

Barnard's team and colleagues at George Washington
University, the University of Toronto and the University
of North Carolina tested 99 people with type 2 diabetes,
assigning them randomly to either a low-fat, low-sugar
vegan diet or the standard American Diabetes Association
diet.

After 22 weeks on the diet, 43 percent of those on the
vegan diet and 26 percent of those on the standard diet
were either able to stop taking some of their drugs such
as insulin or glucose-control medications, or lowered the
doses.

The vegan dieters lost 14 pounds (6.5 kg) on average
while the diabetes association dieters lost 6.8 pounds
(3.1 kg).

An important level of glucose control called a1c fell by
1.23 points in the vegan group and by 0.38 in the group
on the standard diet.

DROPPING DRUGS

A1c gives a measure of how well controlled blood sugar
has been over the preceding three months.

In the dieters who did not change whatever cholesterol
drugs they were on during the study, LDL or "bad"
cholesterol fell by 21 percent in the vegan group and 10
percent in the standard diet group.

The vegan diet removed all animal products, including
meat, fish and dairy. It was also low in added fat and in
sugar.

The American Diabetes Association diet is more tailored,
taking into account the patient's weight and cholesterol.
Most patients on this diet cut calories significantly,
and were told to eat sugary and starchy foods in
moderation.

All 99 participants met weekly with advisers, who advised
them on recipes, gave them tips for sticking to their
respective diets, and offered encouragement.

"We have got a combination here that works successfully,"
said Dr. David Jenkins of the University of Toronto, who
worked on the study. "The message that we so often get
with diet is that it is no good because nobody follows it
for very long."

Dr. Joshua Cohen, George Washington University associate
professor of medicine, said everyone diagnosed with
diabetes is told to start eating more carefully.

"That may be among the hardest things that any of us can
do," Cohen told the news conference.

The vegan diet "is at least as good, if not better than
traditional approaches," Cohen said.

Vance Warren, a 36-year-old retired police officer living
in Washington, said he lowered his a1c from 10.4,
considered uncontrolled diabetes, to 5.1, considered a
healthy level, over 18 months. "My life is much better
being 74 pounds (34 kg) lighter," Warren told the news
conference.

More at:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Diabete...ory?id=2244647

Vegan diet 'help' for arthritis

Rheumatoid arthritis patients may be able to reduce their
high risk of heart attacks and strokes with a gluten-
free, vegan diet, a study suggests.

[Caption] Meat was off the menu for half of those in the
study group

BBC
Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Heart attacks and strokes are among the leading causes of
death for sufferers, as the inflammation caused by the
disease impacts upon the arteries.

But an Arthritis Research and Therapy study found those
who pursued a vegan regime had less "bad" cholesterol.

By clogging arteries, this is seen as a key risk factor
for heart problems.

Rheumatoid Arthritis affects around 350,000 people in the
UK.

Millet and sesame

But researchers at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm
say this risk could be reduced through a diet which
excludes animal products and gluten -- found in wheat,
oats, rye and barley.

"A vegan diet may be helpful in reducing cholesterol,
but it is difficult to get enough of some important
nutrients on a vegan diet"
- Arthritis Research Campaign
[Which nutrients? - JM]

They placed 38 volunteers on the diet, in which protein
accounted for 10% of daily energy intake, carbohydrate
60% and fat for 30%.

It included nuts, sunflower seeds, fruit and vegetables,
millet and corn. Sesame milk provided a daily source of
calcium.

A further 28 volunteers followed a healthy diet with
approximately the same proportions of protein,
carbohydrate and fat.

Saturated fats were not to make up more than 10% of daily
energy intake, and wholegrain products were to be chosen
as often as possible.

Those on the vegan diet showed a decrease in the total
level of cholesterol and specifically a reduction in the
amount of low-density lipoprotein (LSL), also known as
"bad cholesterol".

In contrast, those on the non-vegan diet showed no
significant variations in these levels.

The researchers pointed to a "large body of evidence"
suggesting that these changes were beneficial when it
comes to preventing blockage of the arteries and
cardiovascular disease.

The vegan volunteers also had a lower Body Mass Index
(BMI) at the end of the 12 month period, while the
control group remained the same.

The Arthritis Research Campaign, which is currently
looking into how statins may reduce cardiovascular risks
for sufferers, said the study was of interest but said
the role of diet could be exaggerated.

"However we do know that, for example, eating oily fish
can reduce inflammation, and risk factors for developing
the condition include high consumption of red meat and
low consumption of fruit and vegetables, so diet does
play a role -- however limited," a spokeswoman said.

But the charity also sounded a note of warning: "A vegan
diet may be helpful in reducing cholesterol, but it is
difficult to get enough of some important nutrients on a
vegan diet."

More at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7301188.stm

Forwarded post:

October 4, 2005

Dining with Friends: The Art of North American Vegan
Cuisine Cookbook

By Priscilla Feral and Lee Hall with Friends of Animals
Nectar Bat Press, 2005
$19.95 Paperback

End of forwarded post.

Vegan on the Road with Most Precious Blood

By Justin Brannan and Most Precious Blood
Satya Magazine

[Caption] Most Precious Blood, Justin Brannan, center.
Photo by Chris Mottalini

Driving 13 hours to the next show with one headlight and
four flat tires has never been a big deal for us. But for
our vegan/vegetarian hardcore band, finding food to eat
on the road was a cause for alarm. However, throughout
our years of touring and intense ingredient
investigations, I am proud to say we have become
connoisseurs of vegan cuisine on the road.

Before leaving for tour, we always hit the familiar New
York establishments, like Red Bamboo (and their signature
Creole Soul Chicken), Atlas Caf? (a vegan cake paradise),
and Foodswings (vegan fast food, where they even named a
pizza after us). Chinatown's May Wah is also a great spot
to hit especially if you're the frugal type or prefer to
do the cooking yourself. They carry all the mock meats
served at your favorite vegan dining establishments --
just don't be too upset when you see how cheap the faux
meats really are.

Before we head out on the road, we head over to our
practice space on Staten Island to write our ?hit' songs.
It costs $9 to get onto the island, so we like to make
the most of our trip and stop off at Chin Chin Palace, a
small nondescript Asian restaurant located in a strip
mall. With their enormous vegetarian/vegan menu, this
place has been an institution in our lives for years --
great food, massive quantities and it's fairly cheap.

Okay, so now we hit the road. First stop is Rhode Island,
and one of several Spike's Hot Dogs locations. They serve
meat hot dogs with a myriad of dressings and toppings,
but they also have veggie dogs, which you can dress any
way you want. The thick and hearty buns alone are worth
the price of admission and will fill you up.

Onward to Boston -- outside of Boston to be more specific
-- to Allston, MA. One door down from the legendary
Grasshopper Asian vegetarian restaurant, there is a dumpy
little pizza spot, TJ's, that serves some insane mock
creations. Try the BBQ Chicken Pizza or the Meatball
Parmesan Hero. Although they serve meat, they have a
clearly labeled separate grill and oven just for their
vegan items. I promise, TJ's will leave you a changed
person.

Let's head up to Canada. Over our years of touring
Canada, we've found that the best part of the country is
their vegan cuisine. Let us tell you about a place we
stumbled upon years ago called Harvey's! Harvey's are
pretty much all over the country -- like McDonald's in
the U.S. -- but they serve some of the best vegan burgers
you will ever taste. We can't sing enough praises about
this spot. It has become our Canadian sanctuary. You must
stop at Harvey's.

If you happen to find yourself in Ottawa, swing by Wild
Oats. Although it's a chain, they're a great little
health food store with tons of vegan options. Try the
tofu cutlets and the samosas. From the border police to
possible strip-searching, Wild Oats makes it worth the
hassle.

In Montreal there's a chain of restaurants called Le
Fleurs, home to some of the greasiest food you'll ever
eat. They do veggie burgers and dogs just right, and the
french fries and vinegar are what dreams (and triple
bypass surgeries) are made of. Our Le Fleurs motto: ?it's
always good to go to bed on a full stomach.' It's worth
the throbbing and numbness in the extremities, trust us.
Also in Toronto, you will bump into hot dog vendors on
the street who'll make you a mean veggie dog for cheap.

Now that you've rolled yourself back over the border and
into the States, let's visit Chicago. First stop, the
Pick Me Up Caf?. We've walked 10 miles to this place --in
a blizzard wearing short sleeve shirts -- just to get
down with the vegan french toast and pancakes. There's
tons of stuff on the menu here, but the vegan breakfast
is by far the best.

Let's take a long drive now to Houston, Texas. Located in
another nondescript strip mall is a surprisingly yummy
place called Tien Ren. This jewel of the south serves a
cheap vegetarian and vegan buffet. The atmosphere is
calm, relaxing and perfect for stuffing your face.

When you get to California the only spot you need to know
is In & Out Burger. This place is another institution for
those "in the know." They have a secret language of
different codes and nicknames for all the styles and
techniques in which they can make your burger. Even
though the only things listed on the menu are
"hamburgers, cheeseburgers, fries, shakes and sodas,"
there are at least 100 ways you can order your food. Most
people opt for the "wish burger," which is basically a
grilled cheese sandwich with all the regular burger
fixins. For the vegans, opt for the wish burger without
the cheese and you'll be welcomed to a world of grilled
onion goodness. In addition, the fries are made fresh
like every 10 seconds or so. In & Out is the spot.

Most of our time on the road is spent at gas stations and
rest stops where the vegan options are few and far
between. You can always go for the Grandma's Brand peanut
butter cookies, Luna and Cliff bars, and most of the
cheap sugar wafer cookies are vegan and good to go as
well. It usually takes us a good hour to stop for gas,
with most of the time spent wandering the aisles reading
ingredients. When something new and vegan is found,
everyone comes running over to check it out. You simply
don't realize the impact of being vegan and the endless
quest for good food until you hit the road. Luckily, we
also have friends who will bake for us -- bring brownies
and cookies to our shows -- or pile us into a car and
take us to local vegan spots.

In Times of Desperation...

Taco Bell is a necessary evil of the road. I wouldn't be
caught dead in a Taco Bell when we're not on tour, but
once we shove off, it serves as a last resort. Depending
on your confidence with the intelligence of the person
behind the counter, you can create some pretty
interesting meals by substituting this and that. But, it
can get very confusing and frustrating when you get to
your seat and realize your burrito is full of everything
you said to leave out. The easiest thing to do is ask for
the seven-layer burrito minus cheese and sour cream.
(They actually have a minus button on their keypad.) Also
easy is the bean burrito sans cheese. If you're feeling
lucky and have some time to kill, go for the grilled
stuft burrito minus meat, cheese and Baja sauce, but add
potatoes. This makes a pretty serious burrito that will
fill you up for a good 50-100 miles, at least.

Burger King is an absolute last resort, but if you must,
their breakfast options aren't bad and -- believe it or
not -- some are vegan. The french toast sticks and the
hash browns are good to go with just enough grease to
kickstart that heart at seven a.m. for another long
drive. And you can grab a Dutch Apple Pie -- a vegan
treat for later when the belly starts grumbling again.

I've saved the best for last, a place called CiCi's
Pizza. This is where gluttony lives and breeds. CiCi's is
basically a pizza buffet place where $5 gets you into an
all-you-can-eat pizza paradise. There aren't many vegan
options on the buffet table but you can order your own
pie for no extra charge. Hold the cheese, load up on
toppings and you are now on board with a one way ticket
to carb-coma-city. You can also order the garlic bread
without the cheese. For $5, this is the best you will
find on the road in terms of value and quantity.

There's a ton of places across the millions of miles of
asphalt. These are just the joints we swear by. In fact,
if you hit up any of these places and you don't
absolutely enjoy them, we'll send you a free Most
Precious Blood T-shirt. Hey, we're serious about our on-
the-road cuisine.

Most Precious Blood is a vegan/vegetarian hardcore band
born in Brooklyn, NY, of which Justin Brannan is a
guitarist. Keep your ears open for their album Merciless
coming out September 20th on Trustkill Records. Visit
www.mostpreciousblood.com for more information.

More at:

http://www.satyamag.com/sept05/mostprec.html

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.jai-maharaj

o o o

o Not for commercial use. Solely to be fairly used
for the educational purposes of research and open
discussion. The contents of this post may not have been
authored by, and do not necessarily represent the opinion
of the poster. The contents are protected by copyright
law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

o If you send private e-mail to me, it will likely
not be read, considered or answered if it does not
contain your full legal name, current e-mail and postal
addresses, and live-voice telephone number.

o Posted for information and discussion. Views
expressed by others are not necessarily those of the
poster who may or may not have read the article.
FAIR USE NOTICE: This article may contain copyrighted
material the use of which may or may not have been
specifically authorized by the copyright owner. This
material is being made available in efforts to advance
the understanding of environmental, political, human
rights, economic, democratic, scientific, social, and
cultural, etc., issues. It is believed that this
constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material
as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the
material on this site is distributed without profit to
the included information for research, comment,
discussion and educational purposes by subscribing to
USENET newsgroups or visiting web sites. For more
information go to:

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this article
for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you
must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Since newsgroup posts are being removed by forgery by one
or more net terrorists, this post may be reposted several
times.