Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa
Dr. Jai Maharaj[_1_] Dr. Jai Maharaj[_1_] is offline

Default U.S. vegan population doubles in only two years!

Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

http://www.occupyforanimals.org/us-v...two-years.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/26/di...nia.html?_r=2&

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...n7211309.shtml

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Diabete...ory?id=2244647

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7301188.stm

> Forwarded post:
>
> October 4, 2005
>
> Dining with Friends: The Art of North American Vegan
> Cuisine Cookbook
>
> By Priscilla Feral and Lee Hall with Friends of Animals
> Nectar Bat Press, 2005
> $19.95 Paperback
>
> End of forwarded post.

Vegan on the Road with Most Precious Blood

By Justin Brannan and Most Precious Blood
Satya Magazine

[Caption] Most Precious Blood, Justin Brannan, center.
Photo by Chris Mottalini

Driving 13 hours to the next show with one headlight and
four flat tires has never been a big deal for us. But for
our vegan/vegetarian hardcore band, finding food to eat
on the road was a cause for alarm. However, throughout
our years of touring and intense ingredient
investigations, I am proud to say we have become
connoisseurs of vegan cuisine on the road.

Before leaving for tour, we always hit the familiar New
York establishments, like Red Bamboo (and their signature
Creole Soul Chicken), Atlas Caf? (a vegan cake paradise),
and Foodswings (vegan fast food, where they even named a
pizza after us). Chinatown's May Wah is also a great spot
to hit especially if you're the frugal type or prefer to
do the cooking yourself. They carry all the mock meats
served at your favorite vegan dining establishments --
just don't be too upset when you see how cheap the faux
meats really are.

Before we head out on the road, we head over to our
practice space on Staten Island to write our ?hit' songs.
It costs $9 to get onto the island, so we like to make
the most of our trip and stop off at Chin Chin Palace, a
small nondescript Asian restaurant located in a strip
mall. With their enormous vegetarian/vegan menu, this
place has been an institution in our lives for years --
great food, massive quantities and it's fairly cheap.

Okay, so now we hit the road. First stop is Rhode Island,
and one of several Spike's Hot Dogs locations. They serve
meat hot dogs with a myriad of dressings and toppings,
but they also have veggie dogs, which you can dress any
way you want. The thick and hearty buns alone are worth
the price of admission and will fill you up.

Onward to Boston -- outside of Boston to be more specific
-- to Allston, MA. One door down from the legendary
Grasshopper Asian vegetarian restaurant, there is a dumpy
little pizza spot, TJ's, that serves some insane mock
creations. Try the BBQ Chicken Pizza or the Meatball
Parmesan Hero. Although they serve meat, they have a
clearly labeled separate grill and oven just for their
vegan items. I promise, TJ's will leave you a changed
person.

Let's head up to Canada. Over our years of touring
Canada, we've found that the best part of the country is
their vegan cuisine. Let us tell you about a place we
stumbled upon years ago called Harvey's! Harvey's are
pretty much all over the country -- like McDonald's in
the U.S. -- but they serve some of the best vegan burgers
you will ever taste. We can't sing enough praises about
this spot. It has become our Canadian sanctuary. You must
stop at Harvey's.

If you happen to find yourself in Ottawa, swing by Wild
Oats. Although it's a chain, they're a great little
health food store with tons of vegan options. Try the
tofu cutlets and the samosas. From the border police to
possible strip-searching, Wild Oats makes it worth the
hassle.

In Montreal there's a chain of restaurants called Le
Fleurs, home to some of the greasiest food you'll ever
eat. They do veggie burgers and dogs just right, and the
french fries and vinegar are what dreams (and triple
bypass surgeries) are made of. Our Le Fleurs motto: ?it's
always good to go to bed on a full stomach.' It's worth
the throbbing and numbness in the extremities, trust us.
Also in Toronto, you will bump into hot dog vendors on
the street who'll make you a mean veggie dog for cheap.

Now that you've rolled yourself back over the border and
into the States, let's visit Chicago. First stop, the
Pick Me Up Caf?. We've walked 10 miles to this place --in
a blizzard wearing short sleeve shirts -- just to get
down with the vegan french toast and pancakes. There's
tons of stuff on the menu here, but the vegan breakfast
is by far the best.

Let's take a long drive now to Houston, Texas. Located in
another nondescript strip mall is a surprisingly yummy
place called Tien Ren. This jewel of the south serves a
cheap vegetarian and vegan buffet. The atmosphere is
calm, relaxing and perfect for stuffing your face.

When you get to California the only spot you need to know
is In & Out Burger. This place is another institution for
those "in the know." They have a secret language of
different codes and nicknames for all the styles and
techniques in which they can make your burger. Even
though the only things listed on the menu are
"hamburgers, cheeseburgers, fries, shakes and sodas,"
there are at least 100 ways you can order your food. Most
people opt for the "wish burger," which is basically a
grilled cheese sandwich with all the regular burger
fixins. For the vegans, opt for the wish burger without
the cheese and you'll be welcomed to a world of grilled
onion goodness. In addition, the fries are made fresh
like every 10 seconds or so. In & Out is the spot.

Most of our time on the road is spent at gas stations and
rest stops where the vegan options are few and far
between. You can always go for the Grandma's Brand peanut
butter cookies, Luna and Cliff bars, and most of the
cheap sugar wafer cookies are vegan and good to go as
well. It usually takes us a good hour to stop for gas,
with most of the time spent wandering the aisles reading
ingredients. When something new and vegan is found,
everyone comes running over to check it out. You simply
don't realize the impact of being vegan and the endless
quest for good food until you hit the road. Luckily, we
also have friends who will bake for us -- bring brownies
and cookies to our shows -- or pile us into a car and
take us to local vegan spots.

In Times of Desperation...

Taco Bell is a necessary evil of the road. I wouldn't be
caught dead in a Taco Bell when we're not on tour, but
once we shove off, it serves as a last resort. Depending
on your confidence with the intelligence of the person
behind the counter, you can create some pretty
interesting meals by substituting this and that. But, it
can get very confusing and frustrating when you get to
your seat and realize your burrito is full of everything
you said to leave out. The easiest thing to do is ask for
the seven-layer burrito minus cheese and sour cream.
(They actually have a minus button on their keypad.) Also
easy is the bean burrito sans cheese. If you're feeling
lucky and have some time to kill, go for the grilled
stuft burrito minus meat, cheese and Baja sauce, but add
potatoes. This makes a pretty serious burrito that will
fill you up for a good 50-100 miles, at least.

Burger King is an absolute last resort, but if you must,
their breakfast options aren't bad and -- believe it or
not -- some are vegan. The french toast sticks and the
hash browns are good to go with just enough grease to
kickstart that heart at seven a.m. for another long
drive. And you can grab a Dutch Apple Pie -- a vegan
treat for later when the belly starts grumbling again.

I've saved the best for last, a place called CiCi's
Pizza. This is where gluttony lives and breeds. CiCi's is
basically a pizza buffet place where $5 gets you into an
all-you-can-eat pizza paradise. There aren't many vegan
options on the buffet table but you can order your own
pie for no extra charge. Hold the cheese, load up on
toppings and you are now on board with a one way ticket
to carb-coma-city. You can also order the garlic bread
without the cheese. For $5, this is the best you will
find on the road in terms of value and quantity.

There's a ton of places across the millions of miles of
asphalt. These are just the joints we swear by. In fact,
if you hit up any of these places and you don't
absolutely enjoy them, we'll send you a free Most
Precious Blood T-shirt. Hey, we're serious about our on-
the-road cuisine.

Most Precious Blood is a vegan/vegetarian hardcore band
born in Brooklyn, NY, of which Justin Brannan is a
guitarist. Keep your ears open for their album Merciless
coming out September 20th on Trustkill Records. Visit
www.mostpreciousblood.com for more information.

More at:

http://www.satyamag.com/sept05/mostprec.html

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.jai-maharaj

o o o

o Not for commercial use. Solely to be fairly used
for the educational purposes of research and open
discussion. The contents of this post may not have been
authored by, and do not necessarily represent the opinion
of the poster. The contents are protected by copyright
law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

o If you send private e-mail to me, it will likely
not be read, considered or answered if it does not
contain your full legal name, current e-mail and postal
addresses, and live-voice telephone number.

o Posted for information and discussion. Views
expressed by others are not necessarily those of the
poster who may or may not have read the article.
FAIR USE NOTICE: This article may contain copyrighted
material the use of which may or may not have been
specifically authorized by the copyright owner. This
material is being made available in efforts to advance
the understanding of environmental, political, human
rights, economic, democratic, scientific, social, and
cultural, etc., issues. It is believed that this
constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material
as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the
material on this site is distributed without profit to
the included information for research, comment,
discussion and educational purposes by subscribing to
USENET newsgroups or visiting web sites. For more
information go to:

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this article
for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you
must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Since newsgroup posts are being removed by forgery by one
or more net terrorists, this post may be reposted several
times.