Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa
Dr. Jai Maharaj[_1_] Dr. Jai Maharaj[_1_] is offline

Default U.S. vegan population doubles in only two years!

Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

http://www.occupyforanimals.org/us-v...two-years.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/26/di...nia.html?_r=2&

> McCartney Presses India On vegan Day
>
> Paul McCartney Urges Indian Prime Minister To Declare National Day Of
> Vegetarianism
>
> Associated Press
> CBS News
> Tuesday, January 4, 2011
>
> Indraprasth aka New Delhi (AP) - Outspoken vegetarian
> Paul McCartney is urging India to declare a national
> Vegetarian Day to celebrate meat-free living and
> compassion toward animals.
>
> People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals says
> McCartney sent a letter to Indian Prime Minister Manmohan
> Singh saying such a day could save animals while helping
> to protect both the environment and people's health.
>
> McCartney's letter says "it would be a celebration of
> life."
>
> The U.N. food agency in 2003 estimated 42 percent of
> India's 1.2 billion people are vegetarian, due mostly to
> financial and religious concerns. Strict Hindus and Jains
> do not eat meat.
>
> Singh's office could not immediately confirm receipt of
> McCartney's letter Tuesday.
>
> More at:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...n7211309.shtml

Vegan diet reverses diabetes symptoms, study finds

By Maggie Fox
Reuters
ABC News
July 27, 2006

[Caption] The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has
found that Americans don't get nearly enough fruits and
vegetables in their diets. fruits and vegetables
(Clipart.com)

Washington (Reuters) - People who ate a low-fat vegan
diet, cutting out all meat and dairy, lowered their blood
sugar more and lost more weight than people on a standard
American Diabetes Association diet, researchers said on
Thursday.

They lowered their cholesterol more and ended up with
better kidney function, according to the report published
in Diabetes Care, a journal published by the American
Diabetes Association.

Participants said the vegan diet was easier to follow
than most because they did not measure portions or count
calories. Three of the vegan dieters dropped out of the
study, compared to eight on the standard diet.

"I hope this study will rekindle interest in using diet
changes first, rather than prescription drugs," Dr. Neal
Barnard, president of the Physician's Committee for
Responsible Medicine, which helped conduct the study,
told a news conference.

An estimated 18 million Americans have type 2 diabetes,
which results from a combination of genetics and poor
eating and exercise habits. They run a high risk of heart
disease, stroke, kidney failure, blindness and limb loss.

Barnard's team and colleagues at George Washington
University, the University of Toronto and the University
of North Carolina tested 99 people with type 2 diabetes,
assigning them randomly to either a low-fat, low-sugar
vegan diet or the standard American Diabetes Association
diet.

After 22 weeks on the diet, 43 percent of those on the
vegan diet and 26 percent of those on the standard diet
were either able to stop taking some of their drugs such
as insulin or glucose-control medications, or lowered the
doses.

The vegan dieters lost 14 pounds (6.5 kg) on average
while the diabetes association dieters lost 6.8 pounds
(3.1 kg).

An important level of glucose control called a1c fell by
1.23 points in the vegan group and by 0.38 in the group
on the standard diet.

DROPPING DRUGS

A1c gives a measure of how well controlled blood sugar
has been over the preceding three months.

In the dieters who did not change whatever cholesterol
drugs they were on during the study, LDL or "bad"
cholesterol fell by 21 percent in the vegan group and 10
percent in the standard diet group.

The vegan diet removed all animal products, including
meat, fish and dairy. It was also low in added fat and in
sugar.

The American Diabetes Association diet is more tailored,
taking into account the patient's weight and cholesterol.
Most patients on this diet cut calories significantly,
and were told to eat sugary and starchy foods in
moderation.

All 99 participants met weekly with advisers, who advised
them on recipes, gave them tips for sticking to their
respective diets, and offered encouragement.

"We have got a combination here that works successfully,"
said Dr. David Jenkins of the University of Toronto, who
worked on the study. "The message that we so often get
with diet is that it is no good because nobody follows it
for very long."

Dr. Joshua Cohen, George Washington University associate
professor of medicine, said everyone diagnosed with
diabetes is told to start eating more carefully.

"That may be among the hardest things that any of us can
do," Cohen told the news conference.

The vegan diet "is at least as good, if not better than
traditional approaches," Cohen said.

Vance Warren, a 36-year-old retired police officer living
in Washington, said he lowered his a1c from 10.4,
considered uncontrolled diabetes, to 5.1, considered a
healthy level, over 18 months. "My life is much better
being 74 pounds (34 kg) lighter," Warren told the news
conference.

More at:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Diabete...ory?id=2244647

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.jai-maharaj

o o o

o Not for commercial use. Solely to be fairly used
for the educational purposes of research and open
discussion. The contents of this post may not have been
authored by, and do not necessarily represent the opinion
of the poster. The contents are protected by copyright
law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

o If you send private e-mail to me, it will likely
not be read, considered or answered if it does not
contain your full legal name, current e-mail and postal
addresses, and live-voice telephone number.

o Posted for information and discussion. Views
expressed by others are not necessarily those of the
poster who may or may not have read the article.
FAIR USE NOTICE: This article may contain copyrighted
material the use of which may or may not have been
specifically authorized by the copyright owner. This
material is being made available in efforts to advance
the understanding of environmental, political, human
rights, economic, democratic, scientific, social, and
cultural, etc., issues. It is believed that this
constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material
as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the
material on this site is distributed without profit to
the included information for research, comment,
discussion and educational purposes by subscribing to
USENET newsgroups or visiting web sites. For more
information go to:

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this article
for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you
must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Since newsgroup posts are being removed by forgery by one
or more net terrorists, this post may be reposted several
times.