Posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default Expensive bottles, what prompts you to buy?

On Wednesday, August 7, 2013 2:51:12 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
>

> > For everyday drinking, most of my wine buying is in the $10-25 range.

> > Pepiere Muscadet, Pernot or Matrot Bourgogne, Donnhoff Qba, Pieropan

> > Soave, various Edmunds St Johns, Loire Cab Franc from Breton or

> > Baudry, good Beaujolais, etc. But sometimes I splurge.

> You can basically substitute Dale's answer for my own, except that I go
>
> above the $100 a bottle mark probably once per year on average. This I
>
> attribute to the "cringe factor," which has crept upward on me over the
>
> years. When I first started buying wines (ca. 1981), $15 a bottle
>
> seemed like an extravagance that would take much justification; by the
>
> end of grad school ('88), I would buy the occasional Grand Cru Classé
>
> Bordeaux for up to $50 a bottle as a huge extravagance (graduation and
>
> birthday presents), and that only once or twice a year. I've actually
>
> lowered my ceiling in recent years because of Andrew's presence in our
>
> lives and because, like Dale, I find so many excellent wines in the
>
> $10-30 a bottle range. For an everyday drinker, I'd say my limit of
>
> comfort is $20 a bottle. For things to go into the cellar, I don't
>
> blink if it's under $40 a bottle, but anything above that requires a
>
> gov't grade justification (in triplicate), and -- again like Dale --
>
> that most frequently occurs when I'm buying older wines at auction.
>

> Mark Lipton

I have certainly bought a lot of wine over the years in the $100+ category I stopped buying older wines except in rare instances...I will buy Clos St Hune when available, Silex or certain vintages of Vintage Port. As I have a fairly large cellar of wines that are coming of age i don't really seek out old bottles much any more as I have been dissapointed far too many times and old white Burgundies have totally lost their appeal with the Premox issue. I have recent;y bought a few older bolttles of CNP from the cellar of a friend where I knew the history of the wine.