Posted to alt.food.wine
Bill O'Meally[_2_] Bill O'Meally[_2_] is offline

Default Best Michigan wineries?

On 2013-08-05 20:17:01 +0000, said:

> Traverse City area, a couple days to visit, which wineries do you
> recommend? We are dry wine drinkers, love a good pinot or sauvignon
> blanc. Not interested in sweet fruit wines.

My wife and I went to Traverse City a couple years ago and enjoyed it
thoroughly. Lovely area! I wish I saved more tasting notes, though I
will say we were pleasantly surprised by the quality of some of the
wines. Even some of the wines that blended cherries with grape were not
bad at all. Granted, there were some true duds, as is true of any
appellation. I think we did Old Mission peninsula the first day, which
was much smaller, then Leelanau over two days. Keep in mind that
Michigan knows cherries. My advice is don't turn your nose up at the
cherry blends, especially the dry ones.

They grow some mighty fine rieslings there as well.

Please share your experiences with this often overlooked region!
--
Bill O'Meally