Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sloping countertops?

On 06/08/2013 11:11 AM, Polly Esther wrote:

> "Dave Smith" <> On a related note.... my brother and his wife remodelled
> their bathroom
>> a few years ago. SiL, in consultation with her friend who apparently
>> has exquisite taste, select a rectangular sink with a flat bottom.
>> What a useless design for a sink. It must be one of those "for
>> company" sinks that you aren't supposed to wash in if you hands are
>> dirty because the dirt does not drain. It just sort of sits there
>> while the water sort of flows toward the drain. Sinks should be sloped.

> That one's tricky. A sink that is too sloped will aggravate you. We have
> one in the little kitchen that is so very rounded that it is impossible
> to stand a glass or anything with a flat bottom without it toppling
> over. Another one of those "What were they thinking?" Polly

I can see that. This one was a bathroom sink. If there is any
significant amount of dirt it just sits there while the water drains
past it, not enough slope to take the dirt with it. Kitchen sinks are
generally sloped just enough to allow the dirt to flow with the water,
but flat enough to stand things up in.