Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sloping countertops?

On 06/08/2013 9:31 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 19:02:03 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>
>> One thing that drives my wife crazy is puddles on the countertop (your basic Formica). A friend's MIL's farmhouse kitchen has a fabulous ceramic countertop that is all drainboard. Is there a way to order a conventional countertop that will drain into the sink?
>>
>> I also notice this in public lavatories all the time. I would like to set something down on the countertop, but the whole blessed thing is wet.

> Not sure why those puddles are there, is she draining dishes there
> without a mat? You can buy those thick cloth dish drying mats just
> about anywhere these days, but I prefer to use bar mats.

On a related note.... my brother and his wife remodelled their bathroom
a few years ago. SiL, in consultation with her friend who apparently has
exquisite taste, select a rectangular sink with a flat bottom. What a
useless design for a sink. It must be one of those "for company" sinks
that you aren't supposed to wash in if you hands are dirty because the
dirt does not drain. It just sort of sits there while the water sort of
flows toward the drain. Sinks should be sloped.