Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Sloping countertops?

On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 19:02:03 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>One thing that drives my wife crazy is puddles on the countertop (your basic Formica).
>A friend's MIL's farmhouse kitchen has a fabulous ceramic countertop that is all drainboard.
>Is there a way to order a conventional countertop that will drain into the sink?
>
>I also notice this in public lavatories all the time. I would like to set something down
>on the countertop, but the whole blessed thing is wet.

Did you ever consider that perhaps your wife treats the kitchen like a
public lavatory... it's not difficult to wipe up spills... and just
maybe she needs to work neater and not do so much spilling.

My first house had a very heavy commercial stainless steel sink with
integrel slopping drain boards extending 4' on each side of the double
sink... was all one piece, no seams... but still wet spots needed to
be wiped up, only major spills ran into the sink. I really hated that
sink because the drainboard portions were corrogated and made for a
lousey countertop work surface, looked more like it belonged in an
autopsy lab than in a residential kitchen. It was a small house and
those drainboards were the only countertops in the kitchen. I suppose
I could have redone the entire kitchen but never got around to it and
the cabinets were very nice custom wooden retro, I lived with it for
fourteen years. People who visited loved that sink but I hated it.