Posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default Expensive bottles, what prompts you to buy?

On Friday, July 26, 2013 4:01:50 PM UTC-4, lleichtman wrote:
> I have wondered what prompts folks to buy expensive bottles of wine and what do you consider expensive. We are getting to the point that we're not sure of storing wine for 20 years as we never get to drink it. Yes, more wineries are making wine for earlier drinking time but there are still plenty of expensive bottles that need a long time.
>
> What does this group consider to be a reasonable upper range of price for near term drinking?

Generally I consider $65 as my upper limit but I rarely buy much wine these days except for short term white wines. I have a cellar full of reds from the 90's and 2000's with some dating back to the 60's so these days I buy the occasional new world pinot.