Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: wines in my backyard (1929 to 2011)

Yesterday we invited some folks over for a backyard bash. Idea was to make this more wine-centric than our bigger parties, so invited friends from various wine groups, then supplemented with some neighbors when there were a few cancellation. Weather was warm and cloudy, we were outside for a couple hours till showers drove us in. I tried to spend less time in front of grill than usual by preparing cold proteins in advance. I ended up only grilling some corn for poat dot (Cambodian glazed corn)- most disappointing dish, local corn just sucked. We had lobster salad, pheasant salad, cold lamb, potato salad, mango salsa, gazpacho; other brough melon, cole slaw, cheeses, etc. Jay brought a strawberry layer cake that got raves.

Lots of wine:
White Mags
1997 Trimbach “Cuvee Frederic Emile” Riesling
mature but not tired, striking balance, best bottle of this I’ve had. A-

1996 Thevene\t/Bongran “Tradition” Macon-Clesse
Divided opinions, a few loved, I thought pushing overripe. Very honied, interesting and not tired but not my fave. B-

750 white
2006 Vatan “Clos de Neore” Sancerre
Some reports of tiring bottles, but this is quite young. Racy, full, minty, I really enjoy. A-/B+

2002 Cazin “Renaissance “ Cour-Cheverny
In a nice place, demi-sec, floral, exotic, lovely. B+/A-

2002 Chidaine “Les Tuffeaux” Montlouis
Divided opinions. Some loved, some thought near death, I thought interesting with some light notes of oxidation. B/B-

2011 Egon Muller “Scharzhofberger” Kabinett
beautiful, lithe, wins title for “ first bottle emptied.” A-

2008 Maximin Grunhauser (Von Schubert) Abstberg Spatlese -
Too young, a bit closedt, lots of potential. B+

2007 Bonnard “Gaudrettes” Chardonnay (Cotes du Jura)
Good, solid white pit fruits, earthy. B+

2002 Remi Jobard Meursault-Charmes 1er
Another good showing of this. A bit of sulphur at first, but it blows off to leave a pretty classic full-bodied Meursault. B+

1997 Drouhin "Clos des Mouches" Beaune 1er-
Missing neck label, we didn’t know vintage till cork pulled. First pour shows fresh and light colored, then within 15 seconds it begins to darken and shows oxidation, I didn’t find this undrinkable at all, just tired, with a nice wine underneath. But not sure I would call it PremOx as 1997 was a vintage to drink young IMHO. C+/B-

2003 Gravner “Breg” Anfora
In the interest of geekiness I wanted to love this. But more intellectually stimulating than tasty. C+

750 reds
2007 Foillard “3.14” Morgon
Lovely, ripe, fresh fruit, great acids. A-/B+

1943 Ch. de Pez (reconditioned 1976)
Old school claret nose, forest floor and a hint of barnyard, a bit sharp and thin on palate compared to the ‘29 Poujeaux. Bonus points for a wine made in middle of WWII (bottle is bluish- glass shortages). B

1929 Ch. Poujeaux
Excellent showing, better than previous bottle, midweight, plenty of fruit, complex nose. A-

1997 Breton “les Perrieres” Bourgueil
Lovely, nice balance of ripeness and acids, just a hint of herbs. A-/B+

Fun afternoon/evening with a nice group.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.