Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Vegetarian diet for vegetable haters?

"Trawley Trash" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 21:25:15 -0700
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> I realize that there probably aren't any vegetarians here but... I
>> am stumped. Because of the pre-diabetes, I can't base the meals on
>> beans and rice or beans and pasta like I used to do when I was
>> vegetarian. And bottom line, she just doesn't like vegetables. I
>> used to be able to make her a meatloaf and sneak all kinds of veggies
>> into it. Hmmm... Is there something like that, that could be done
>> with veggies that isn't overly carby? Hmmm... Help!

> A few suggestions.
>
> You can add a little protein to a salad by using yogurt as a dressing.
> I have to have something that says zero grams sugar. I can't find
> any like that in stores, so I make my own. It isn't hard. It takes
> a water bath at 110 degrees F for 24 hours to get a nice firm yogurt
> with no sugar. I use a portable induction stovetop to hold the
> temperature. You can start from any kind of milk. It comes out sour
> so no lemon juice is needed. Add spices to taste for dressing. I
> use turmeric, pepper, fenugreek, and juniper berries. Yogurt can
> also be used in cooking.

Except that she doesn't usually eat dressing. She prefers her salads plain,
just like I do. And I can't imagine anything I could cook with yogurt in it
than she would eat.

> You might try to find a class in Indian cooking. They do vegetarian
> cooking better than anyone. Have Angela take the class; it is
> time for her to learn to cook for herself. Local health food stores
> here are run by Adventists, and they offer vegetarian cooking classes
> as well. I think there may be one out your way somewhere.

Oh no! We very much dislike Indian food. The seasonings that they use do
not taste good to us at all.

> Another suggestion is bean sprouts. Since our last discussion on this
> I tried making lentil bean sprouts, and I like them better than
> mung beans. They can be eaten raw or used in cooking. They are
> high protein and wonderful in salads. I bought a sprouter, because
> store bought sprouts are not very good. They just don't keep well
> enough.

She won't eat sprouts and I no longer think they are safe to eat. I got rid
of all of my sprouters. I used to make them but I was the only one who
would eat them.

Thanks!