Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pots and pans.

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>>> Two words
>>>
>>> Le Creuset
>>>
>>> Can't go wrong.

>> Too expensive.

> Not hardly. And they last forever. Probably the last really good
> cookware you can buy. You can get them a lot cheaper online.

I did look but saw nothing of the size I need in my price range. Would have
to pay over $100 for that and don't see any deals. Plus to get that size,
it would likely be super heavy. I used to have two pieces. One was a tiny
skillet. Never really used that. The other was a casserole for one and I
think I did get rid of that. Neither was a color I would have chosen.
Orange. They were a present from an ex. I did love the casserole when I
was single and took it to work a lot. People always wanted to see what I
put in it. One thing was a doctored frozen burrito. Bean and cheese.
Those were hard to find. I won't eat TVP and most frozen burritos contain
there. I would smother it (sf will just love this) in some kind of tomato
sauce. Sometimes I would buy enchilada sauce, sometimes make it, or if in a
hurry then just canned tomato sauce, canned tomatoes or even a whole mess of
raw tomatoes, perhaps with just a dab of canned tomato sauce. Then strips
of green pepper and white onion and a lot of cheese. Oh my was that good!
And because I added so much stuff to it, it kinda looked like I made it
myself.

Over time, the white inside of the casserole had gray marks on it, probably
from a fork. Just like my ancient Corningware blue flower casserole now
does. I'm sure it was still usable but I have far less use for a single
casserole these days. If could find and afford to get 4-6 of those, I
probably would. I just don't tend to shop at any places that sell the stuff
and never think to look for it online. Would be nice if I could find it
somewhere in like...a deeply discounted discontinued color but I never seem
to.

In the meantime I bought some in a similar shape (but cheap imports) at
Christmas Tree shop but they turned out not to be large enough. Then I
bought some little green ones (I think they are Le Creuset but maybe just a
really good imitation) that are vintage from Ebay. I am a lousy judge of
size and can not tell most of the time by looking at the measurements how
big something will actually be. Which could be why I just bought something
akin to a suitcase for my new purse. It is Laurel Burch and it is Fabric so
it won't be heavy. But still, when I saw the measurements, I assumed it was
about the same size as the extra large bag that I have. Oops! And they did
have a warning that the bags could be larger than we thought they were.
Anyway... These baking dishes turned out to be super flat. Not really sure
what they would be good for except perhaps for baked apples and really when
I do those, I usually do them in a larger dish. I suppose they would be
good for apple dumplings but I haven't made those in years.