Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Trawley Trash Trawley Trash is offline

Default Opinion piece on artificial sweeteners

On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 11:58:11 -0700
Todd > wrote:

> On 07/22/2013 08:24 AM, Trawley Trash wrote:
> > potato/mung bean noodles

> Potatoes and beans? How do you get away with all the carbs
> in this? Are you T2 or T1?

Type II, but the problem seems to be fructose and galactose.
Grains are out, because they contain fructans. These are
not digestible by us, but intestinal flora can break them
down and release fructose. This gives a delayed reaction that
is difficult to detect, but it is repeatable once I know
to look for it.

Some grasses have more fructans/fructose than others. At the
top of the list is sugar cane. Those with the least are wheat
at 0.7 % and rice with virtually none. Fermenting and cooking
reduce the amount of fructose. It is interesting that the
earliest use of grains was in making beer. This was probably
a thin porridge that was left to ferment. Amerindians used
a similar method to render acorns less toxic by soaking the
flour for several days.

Beans are off my paleo menu, because they contain galactose
and galactans, but as with fructose the amount varies widely.
The worst beans are phaseolus vulgaris: pinto, lima, green,
and almost all the common beans yous see in stores. Again
fermenting, cooking and sprouting can be used to render them less
toxic. Mung beans are a different species, and they seem to be
OK. Long beans are different genus from common beans, and I can eat
those. I have to test any new bean carefully.

There is a limit on the amount of carbs I can eat. I doubt I
will ever eat a plate of pasta again. But 200-300 grams of potatoes
spread through the day seem to be no problem.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.