Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Trawley Trash Trawley Trash is offline

Default Opinion piece on artificial sweeteners

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 22:30:06 -0700
Billy > wrote:

> In article >,
> Trawley Trash > wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 19:44:55 -0700
> > Todd > wrote:
> >
> > > Bitter melon had a modest hypoglycemic effect and significantly
> > > reduced fructosamine levels from baseline among patients with
> > > type 2 diabetes who received 2,000 mg/day. However, the
> > > hypoglycemic effect of bitter melon was less than metformin 1,000
> > > mg/day.

> > Generally I take 100000 to 200000 milligrams of bitter melon.
> > Chicken soup with bitter melon and potato/mung bean noodles is to
> > die for. No bacon needed.

> How many micro liters of soup is that?

Depends on how much water I add.

> Since this is a culinary group, and not a science lab, you probably
> should have said 3 1/2 oz. to 7 oz. of bitter melon just to keep the
> appropriate motif.

> I couldn't find your recipe, so here's a different one.

Sorry. I have a kitchen scale and use grams.

I don't use recipes, but I put this together out of a need to consume
leftover chicken stock. This is what I remember doing. I use
an induction hotplate. Onions are not good for fructose
intolerance, but small amounts that are thoroughly cooked seem
to be OK for me. It certainly did not take two hours to make:

500 gm chicken stock (approximate)
1/2 medium onion, sliced
150 gm cubed chicken breast
1 bitter melon (about 150 gm)
25 gm sliced fresh ginger
1 small lime
1 packet noodles (sweet potato, mung bean, or potato).
additional leftover veggies (I think I added shredded cabbage).

Boil some water, pour over noodles, and cover.

Set induction burner to 260 degrees F.

Melt a tablespoon of coconut oil in a skillet.

Add sliced onion and stir so it is coated with oil.

Add chicken and a little water.

Cover and stir-fry 2-3 minutes.

Add bitter melon and ginger. More water as needed.

Cover and continue to stir-fry.

Drain hot water from noodles and replace with cold water.

Add chicken stock and leftover veggies.

Add 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) turmeric.

Add 1 teaspoon gluten-free and sugar-free tamari.

Bring to boil and remove from heat.

Drain and add cold noodles.

Squeeze lime into soup.

Add salt to taste and perhaps a couple of slices from a jalapeno
pepper. Bean sprouts are also good at this point.

This is a full meal for me.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.