lobscouse

Default Tips for making chawan mushi?

I've never cooked my chawa mushi in a bain marie. I've always steamed it
uncovered in a bamboo steamer or used an egg coddler with a lid and simmered
in water. It is a great breakfast dish. I'll have to try the oven method.

Lob

Please reply to group as this address is a spam catcher.

"Naughyde" > wrote in message
> I fell in love with chawan mushi at Medori's Floating World Cafe in
> Minneapolis. I'm going to try to make it myself, I usually don't attemp
> delicate foods. I'm a good but rough cook. I have a recipe, fyi it's
> basically a custard made with dashi and eggs. You can put little good

things
> in it like fish or scallions, but not much. I'm making the dashi from

scratch.
> I don't have the special ramekins so I'll use mugs and cover with foil,

put in
> a pan with boiling water, and bake in oven (all per recipe from Ming

Tsai's
> home page).
>
> So any tips on this careful and involved process? or favorite dashi

ratios?
> Or favorite brands of bonito flakes (I already bought them but I'll take

it