Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Todd Todd is offline

Default Opinion piece on artificial sweeteners

On 07/21/2013 04:35 PM, Billy wrote:
> Todd would have made a stronger argument that allopathic medicine rarely
> appeals to our Epicurean senses the way nutraceuticals can.
>
> For example:
> Bitter Melon Delight

And using the scientific method (double blind):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21211558

J Ethnopharmacol. 2011 Mar 24;134(2):422-8. doi:
10.1016/j.jep.2010.12.045. Epub 2011 Jan 4.
Hypoglycemic effect of bitter melon compared with metformin in newly
diagnosed type 2 diabetes patients.
Fuangchan A, Sonthisombat P, Seubnukarn T, Chanouan R, Chotchaisuwat P,
Sirigulsatien V, Ingkaninan K, Plianbangchang P, Haines ST.
Source

Department of Pharmacy Practice, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences,
Naresuan University, Muang, Phitsanulok 65000, Thailand.
Abstract
ETHNOPHARMACOLOGICAL RELEVANCE:

Bitter melon (Momordica charantia L.) has been widely used as an
traditional medicine treatment for diabetic patients in Asia. In vitro
and animal studies suggested its hypoglycemic activity, but limited
human studies are available to support its use.
AIM OF STUDY:

This study was conducted to assess the efficacy and safety of three
doses of bitter melon compared with metformin.
MATERIALS AND METHODS:

This is a 4-week, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, active-control
trial. Patients were randomized into 4 groups to receive bitter melon
500 mg/day, 1,000 mg/day, and 2,000 mg/day or metformin 1,000 mg/day.
All patients were followed for 4 weeks.
RESULTS:

There was a significant decline in fructosamine at week 4 of the
metformin group (-16.8; 95% CI, -31.2, -2.4 μmol/L) and the bitter melon
2,000 mg/day group (-10.2; 95% CI, -19.1, -1.3 μmol/L). Bitter melon 500
and 1,000 mg/day did not significantly decrease fructosamine levels
(-3.5; 95% CI -11.7, 4.6 and -10.3; 95% CI -22.7, 2.2 μmol/L, respectively).
CONCLUSIONS:

Bitter melon had a modest hypoglycemic effect and significantly reduced
fructosamine levels from baseline among patients with type 2 diabetes
who received 2,000 mg/day. However, the hypoglycemic effect of bitter
melon was less than metformin 1,000 mg/day.