Old 22-07-2013, 03:11 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
Todd Todd is offline

Default Opinion piece on artificial sweeteners

On 07/21/2013 04:01 PM, Billy wrote:
Traditional medicine and modern medicine act differently.
Traditional medicine has side benefits. (For instance,
Hawthorn Berry helps calm an asthma attack, Milk Thistle
helps heal hepatitis damage, Prickly pear lowers your
blood sugar.)

Todd, you are being wildly inaccurate. There many types of Hawthorne,
and Prickly Pear (Opuntia), they vary in their degree of healthiness as
nutraceuticals. While milk thistle is a decorative plant, and edible,
it's the seeds that are important to your liver. That said, you may be
better off going to an herbal shop, and just buy the standardized
extracts.

Yes, of course. And, seek profession advice first.

Use the Hawthorne that the herbalists use (Crataegus spp).

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swan...50-mg-120-caps

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/natu...1-fl-oz-liquid

This is the famous American Herbalist, Dr. Christopher's formula,
but it contains honey:
http://www.vitacost.com/christophers...rup-16-fl-oz-1

I use "Opuntia ficus-indica - leaf" (Nopal, Pinkly Pear):
https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swan...50-mg-180-caps

Opuntia streptacantha Lemaire works too.
Here is a good double blind on Opuntia streptacantha Lemai
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3276479

Thank you for the heads up. I will make sure I say
exactly which herb I am speaking of next time.

-T