Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Ping: Wendy - rice milk

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> : Some years ago (I can't remember why now) you had suggested that I use
> rice
> : milk, for something and if it was too thick to... I think you said thin
> : with water or something but I found that odd because my rice milk was
> always
> : like water!
>
> : Well, I just now made some vegan apple fritters. I won't post the
> recipe
> : here. There is no sugar in there and they do use whole wheat pastry
> flour
> : and I did make tiny ones but they're still not low carb. For the recipe
> : needed 1/3 cup plus about a Tablespoon. I wanted the little Rice Dream
> : boxes like I normally buy because there would be less waste but
> Albertsons
> : had no tiny ones. They did have the Wild Harvest Organic stuff on sale
> for
> : $1.99 so I bought the large box.
>
> : What a surprise! I shook it as I always do before opening and I could
> not
> : hear it sloshing around. Strange. So I began pouring it into my
> measuring
> : cup and it came out thick like cream! So... There must be a big
> difference
> : in the various brands. I have also bought the Trader Joe's brand, some
> : other brand that also makes soy milk but can't remember the brand and I
> : think one or two other brands and they were always very thin.
>
> : I think we are really going to like these fritters so will likely make
> : another batch (probably a double) before the week is out but that won't
> use
> : up all of the rice milk. I tried putting about a cup of it in a bag and
> : will try to freeze it. I think it only keeps for about a week once
> opened.
>
> : So my questions are... Have you ever tried to freeze rice milk? And
> what
> : brand(s) do you usually buy? I was really quite surprised that it
> didn't
> : come out like water and frankly I was thinking of subbing in water in
> this
> : recipe. Kind of glad I didn't!
>
> I don't use much rice milk, as I find soy or almond better and lower carb
> for my purposes(thinks like pumpkin pie, etc.). I have never tried to
> freeze it. I use, either Eden or West-something- which are common in my
> area. i wonder if the little boxes, which are serving size, may be
> dirfferent as they are intended for drinking, say with a school lunch,
> rather than used for cooking as the quart is likely to be used. If ou are
> intereted, you might check the labels to see if the calorie, carb, etc
> counts are the same for these different eit-both brands and sizes.
>
> Nice to be talkign about food matters here in this food group:-)
> Wendy

Westsoy! That is what I have bought! But not often. The little boxes seem
the same as the big ones. I used to use the big ones when Angela was using
it. But now that she no longer needs it and I only use it very
occasionally, I was buying the little ones. I have heard of the Eden brand
but don't think I have seen it here. Thanks!