Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Ping: Wendy - rice milk

Julie Bove > wrote:
: Some years ago (I can't remember why now) you had suggested that I use rice
: milk, for something and if it was too thick to... I think you said thin
: with water or something but I found that odd because my rice milk was always
: like water!

: Well, I just now made some vegan apple fritters. I won't post the recipe
: here. There is no sugar in there and they do use whole wheat pastry flour
: and I did make tiny ones but they're still not low carb. For the recipe I
: needed 1/3 cup plus about a Tablespoon. I wanted the little Rice Dream
: boxes like I normally buy because there would be less waste but Albertsons
: had no tiny ones. They did have the Wild Harvest Organic stuff on sale for
: $1.99 so I bought the large box.

: What a surprise! I shook it as I always do before opening and I could not
: hear it sloshing around. Strange. So I began pouring it into my measuring
: cup and it came out thick like cream! So... There must be a big difference
: in the various brands. I have also bought the Trader Joe's brand, some
: other brand that also makes soy milk but can't remember the brand and I
: think one or two other brands and they were always very thin.

: I think we are really going to like these fritters so will likely make
: another batch (probably a double) before the week is out but that won't use
: up all of the rice milk. I tried putting about a cup of it in a bag and
: will try to freeze it. I think it only keeps for about a week once opened.

: So my questions are... Have you ever tried to freeze rice milk? And what
: brand(s) do you usually buy? I was really quite surprised that it didn't
: come out like water and frankly I was thinking of subbing in water in this
: recipe. Kind of glad I didn't!

I don't use much rice milk, as I find soy or almond better and lower carb
for my purposes(thinks like pumpkin pie, etc.). I have never tried to
freeze it. I use, either Eden or West-something- which are common in my
area. i wonder if the little boxes, which are serving size, may be
dirfferent as they are intended for drinking, say with a school lunch,
rather than used for cooking as the quart is likely to be used. If ou are
intereted, you might check the labels to see if the calorie, carb, etc
counts are the same for these different eit-both brands and sizes.

Nice to be talkign about food matters here in this food group:-)
Wendy