Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nick Cramer Nick Cramer is offline

Default Turnip greens

http://www.rareseeds.com/golden-globe/)

> >> Tried eating one of the leaves a week ago. Hmmmm.
> >> Interesting tastes. My best friend declared them
> >> "yucky". (She turned a few colors. I thought she
> >> looked cute, but she protested). I can see where
> >> all the remarks about feeding turnips greens to
> >> livestock come from.
> >>
> >> Is there some way to clean turnip greens up?
> >> Some seasoning or spice? Or is nasty just the
> >> way they come? (I am going to have a lot of them.)
> >>
> >> Many thanks,-
> >>
> >> I like all kinds of greens. You gotta cook 'em down quite a bit to get
> >> the
> >> bitteerness out.

> > Dittos on the cooking part. Turnip greens are wonderful when cooked
> > right. For eating raw try mustard greens. They are also good cooked too
> > but really shine in a salad.

Yep. Mustard greens are real good. So are collards and dandelion (red
dandelion esspecially).

> Hi Nick and Big,
>
> The one green I tried from my garden -- a young one about
> the size of a radish top -- was so acrid that it made my
> eyes water. I stuck my mouth under a hose for about five
> minutes and it still had an aftertaste. It was the gift
> that keeps on giving!
>
> So, does cooking them down meal till they are soggy? And
> are they still NASTY?

Haven't experienced the nasty acridity of which you speak. Some folks cook
'em down 'til they're mush. Like with cooking down spinach, I like to still
have a little texture and taste.

> And, do they stink up the house when they are cooking?

Not that we've noticed. ;-)

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~