Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Ping: Wendy - rice milk

Some years ago (I can't remember why now) you had suggested that I use rice
milk, for something and if it was too thick to... I think you said thin
with water or something but I found that odd because my rice milk was always
like water!

Well, I just now made some vegan apple fritters. I won't post the recipe
here. There is no sugar in there and they do use whole wheat pastry flour
and I did make tiny ones but they're still not low carb. For the recipe I
needed 1/3 cup plus about a Tablespoon. I wanted the little Rice Dream
boxes like I normally buy because there would be less waste but Albertsons
had no tiny ones. They did have the Wild Harvest Organic stuff on sale for
$1.99 so I bought the large box.

What a surprise! I shook it as I always do before opening and I could not
hear it sloshing around. Strange. So I began pouring it into my measuring
cup and it came out thick like cream! So... There must be a big difference
in the various brands. I have also bought the Trader Joe's brand, some
other brand that also makes soy milk but can't remember the brand and I
think one or two other brands and they were always very thin.

I think we are really going to like these fritters so will likely make
another batch (probably a double) before the week is out but that won't use
up all of the rice milk. I tried putting about a cup of it in a bag and
will try to freeze it. I think it only keeps for about a week once opened.

So my questions are... Have you ever tried to freeze rice milk? And what
brand(s) do you usually buy? I was really quite surprised that it didn't
come out like water and frankly I was thinking of subbing in water in this
recipe. Kind of glad I didn't!