Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Todd Todd is offline

Default Turnip greens

http://www.rareseeds.com/golden-globe/)

>> Tried eating one of the leaves a week ago. Hmmmm.
>> Interesting tastes. My best friend declared them
>> "yucky". (She turned a few colors. I thought she
>> looked cute, but she protested). I can see where
>> all the remarks about feeding turnips greens to
>> livestock come from.
>>
>> Is there some way to clean turnip greens up?
>> Some seasoning or spice? Or is nasty just the
>> way they come? (I am going to have a lot of them.)
>>
>> Many thanks,-
>>
>> I like all kinds of greens. You gotta cook 'em down quite a bit to get
>> the
>> bitteerness out.
>>
>> --
>> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
>> families: https://semperfifund.org
>> https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
>> 'Special Operations Warrior Foundation' (http://www.specialops.org/)
>> 'Help for Heroes - UK Military Charity'
>> (http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/) ~Semper Fi~
>> 'Wounded Warriors: Home' (http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/) 'Home -
>> Legacy' (http://www.legacy.com.au/) ~Semper Fi~

> Dittos on the cooking part. Turnip greens are wonderful when cooked
> right. For eating raw try mustard greens. They are also good cooked too
> but really shine in a salad.

Hi Nick and Big,

The one green I tried from my garden -- a young one about
the size of a radish top -- was so acrid that it made my
eyes water. I stuck my mouth under a hose for about five
minutes and it still had an aftertaste. It was the gift
that keeps on giving!

So, does cooking them down meal till they are soggy? And
are they still NASTY?

And, do they stink up the house when they are cooking?

Many thanks,
-T