Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Todd Todd is offline

Default Turnip greens

On 07/18/2013 12:51 PM, Peppermint Patootie wrote:
> In article >, Todd >
> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Got me a forest of Golden Globe Turnips growing in
>> the garden:
>>
>> http://www.rareseeds.com/golden-globe/
>>
>> Tried eating one of the leaves a week ago. Hmmmm.
>> Interesting tastes. My best friend declared them
>> "yucky". (She turned a few colors. I thought she
>> looked cute, but she protested). I can see where
>> all the remarks about feeding turnips greens to
>> livestock come from.
>>
>> Is there some way to clean turnip greens up?
>> Some seasoning or spice? Or is nasty just the
>> way they come? (I am going to have a lot of them.)
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T

> I'm growing turnips, too, so I may experiment soon. However, I do
> remember turnip greens having a spicy or peppery taste.
>
> I have eaten pickled turnip greens cooked with pork in Chinese dishes.
> I think one could "fresh pickle" them by washing then, drying them well,
> then layering them in a bowl with white vinegar, covering the dish, and
> leaving the in the fridge for a couple of days. Then they could be
> taken out, rinsed off, cut into pieces, and stir-fried with some nice
> fatty pastured wild pork. I'd also add some garlic and soy sauce to the
> dish.
>
> I'll try this and tell you how it turns out. I am very fond of "pork
> with sour vegetable" when I get it in Chinese restaurants, although they
> often put too much sweetener in the sauce for my taste.
>
> PP

Hi Peppermint,

Got a month or so more before the bulbs get full size. The
Golden Globes are "suppose" (note weasel word) to taste more
like potatoes and less like stale radishes. The greens I
tasted made my eyes water and had a nasty aftertaste. I am
thinking of just drying them and plowing them under.

I wonder if the pungent oils in the leave keep bugs away?

I love to look at all the green flora in my garden. I may
have 5 zukes by Sunday! Olive oil, oregano, fresh zukes
from the garden harvested minutes before cooking. YUM!
Have to watch how many I eat as I could eat all five!

None of my girl flowers failed (that is a sad sight when
they do). Haven't seen any bees doing there thing, but
stealth bees is good bees too.

I am looking forward to your feedback!

-T