Posted to rec.food.cooking
ViLco ViLco is offline

Default Pecorino Romano trademark?

wrote:

> Whoops! Is there a way for me to tell from a partial trademark who
> made this cheese? That is, is there a list of trademarks for the
> various romano makers that I could look at, and decide?

I don't know what you mean with "trademark", I know the procucers of many
cheeses have a procuder-code.
Just as for Parmigiano Reggiano, the code of the single producer (along with
the year of production) is printed only in one spot of the rind, thus you
must be very lucky to get a slice from that exact point.
Here you can read it:
http://www.naturaroma.it/wp-content/...7/pecorino.jpg

Here "SS118" is the producer and "08" is the year, and SS118 leads us to a
sardinian producer:

Coop. San Pasquale
(SS118) S.S. 127 km. 95.800 - 07032 Nulvi
Tel. 079/576890 - fax 079/576499 -
(from:
http://www.pecorinoromano.com/soci.html which is the official list of
codes of all the producers)

You could get back at the store and see if there are other pieces with the
code and year part
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin