Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Pecorino Romano trademark?

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 09:59:37 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

>My lovely bride brought home a 4.5 lb chunk of delicious pecorino romano. So for the next several months we won't have to suffer with overpriced dreck from Costco or similar. (Locatelli Romano would cost 50% more, per pound.)
>
>I don't know who made this cheese. But part of a logo is stamped into the side, along with the repeated words PECORINO ROMANO PECORINO ROMANO. There is no black wax or whatever coating.

You may never know. Many cheeses like that go through a consortium
where may makers all contribute. Pecorino is the type of cheese, made
from sheep's milk. Pecorino Romano is allowed only on the islands of
Sardinia, Lazio and in the Tuscan Province of Grosseto.

Pecorino never had black wax either. Ewes just can't tell very
easily.