Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Todd Todd is offline

Default Opinion piece on artificial sweeteners

On 07/11/2013 07:12 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 7/11/2013 8:24 PM, Todd wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Here is a great opinion piece on artificial sweeteners
>> from a journal called:
>>
>> Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism
>> http://www.cell.com/trends/endocrinology-metabolism/
>>
>> http://download.cell.com/images/edim...sm/tem_888.pdf
>>

>> A quick summary: artificial sweeteners initially trick the
>> body into reacting as if something sweet is entering. Then
>> the body gets wise to the trick and stops. Then when you
>> do eat something sweet or carbie, the body doesn't react
>> properly. And the satiation response doesn't kick in,
>> causing overeating and T2 to kick in.
>>
>> Basically, the criticism of artificial sweeteners is
>> that body gets wise to them and doesn't react appropriately
>> to the real stuff. Not that the body thinks the fake stuff
>> is real, but that the body starts to think the real stuff
>> is fake.
>>
>> -T

> I dislike sugar sweetened beverages. No sweeteners in my coffee or tea.
> Hate sugared sodas and punches. Sugar sets my teeth on edge.
>
> I have been drinking diet soda since I was a teenager. That's over half
> a century. Went through all the different types of sweeteners that were
> on or off the market. I down between 3 and 5 cans of Coke Zero a day and
> have been for years. Before Coke Zero it was Diet Coke. Before that it
> was Tab.
>
> According to that article, I should be a T2 by now, but my BG is perfect
> and and I am not overweight.
>
> My thyroid condition is from radiation side effects. Otherwise my
> metabolism is in good working order despite all that diet soda.

Hi Janet,

That is why it is called an "opinion piece". A very
"learned" opinion piece, but still an opinion piece.

The idea was to let folks know why artificial sweeteners
are "suspect". The guy still has to prove his assertions.

Mainly, I wanted folks to know that the "assertion" was
that the body started to think that real stuff wasn't.

-T