Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Todd Todd is offline

Default Of sweet things and flavored gasoline

On 07/08/2013 10:41 PM, bigwheel wrote:
> Todd;1845828 Wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Got to love the subject line. I really worked on it!
>>
>> Okay, silliness aside, Her Thropyness bought me two
>> boxes of flavored Stevia: vanilla and passion flower.
>>
>> 'Cid Botanicals Real Paraguayan Stevia Packets, Vanilla Flavor - 100
>> Packets' (http://tinyurl.com/ng6nwcx)
>> 'Cid Botanicals Stevia Vanilla -- 100 Packets - Vitacost'
>> (http://www.vitacost.com/cid-botanica...la-100-packets)
>>
>> 'Cid Botanicals Real Paraguayan Stevia Packets, Passion Fruit Flavor -
>> 100 Packets' (http://tinyurl.com/p8gnmjv)
>> 'Cid Botanicals Stevia Passion -- 100 Packets - Vitacost'
>> (http://www.vitacost.com/cid-botanica...on-100-packets)
>>
>> Disclaimer: I am use to the taste of Stevia and the gasoline
>> overtones don't bother me so much. If you are not use to it,
>> you may gag a bit.
>>
>> This stevia is actually really good and natural: no sugar alcohols,
>> no maltodextrin (liar's glucose). The flavors are the real thing
>> too: no chemicals.
>>
>> My favorite is the vanilla. I adore it in my Paleo cocoa.
>> I use it as a substitute for vanilla in my recipes. (I always
>> sweeten things when using vanilla, so this works perfectly.)
>> Although, the vanilla is rather strong -- try diluting it 1/2
>> and 1/2 with regular stevia. (They make a regular stevia too.)
>> I can't taste the stevia taste (gasoline) in this one.
>>
>> I mixed the passion flower with melted butter to make a
>> berry topping. (This one have a "tiny" stevia/gasonline taste,
>> but does not bother me in the slightest.)
>>
>> -T

> Well not sure how many more times I can explain these mysteries to hard
> headed folks..but will try one last time. Buy the Little Trophy Bride
> some Now Brand food grade glycerine. Do not get cute and try to buy the
> crap they sell at Wally World. It has the consistency of honey with 2/3
> the sweetness level of table sugar. Triggers no malfunctions of the
> human body...and has no afterbite as is the custom of most sugar subs.
> Do not give blood glucose readings any room to work. Gives Trophies a
> smooth mouth so to speak..very good for skin too. Dont make me come up
> there. Thanks.
>
> 'Search - Now Foods Vegetable Glycerine - iHerb.com'
> (http://tinyurl.com/nvlxk2f)

Hi Bigwheel,

Pretty funny stuff! :-)

You missed my point. The flavored stevia above has flavoring that
you can't otherwise get without weird chemicals. Have you ever
read the ingredients on vanilla extract? Anyone for a shot of
radiator fluid?

The vanilla above has no radiator fluid (ethylene glycol), liar's
glucose (maltodextrin), excitotoxins (also maltodextrin), etc..
It is pure and natural.

Okay, I do realize that ALL "real" men gargle with radiator
fluid in the morning, but ...

Okay, now for glycerin (A.K.A. glycerol, glycerine). This
sugar alcohol has a glycemic index (GI) of five [1]. It has
27 calories (kcals) per teaspoon [2] and is 60% as sweet as
sucrose [2]. Or, 45 calories for the same amount of sweetness
as a teaspoon of sucrose.

So far so good. Problem: with a GI of 5 and that high an
amount of carbohydrate calories, the glycemic load (GL) must
be through the roof. (I searched for the GL of glycerol, but
couldn't find it.) Basically it is the gift that keeps on
giving. Or, as some call it: the pizza effect.

Glycerol may be just fine for me, but until my long journey
to "drug free" and a sufficient period of stability ensues,
I am going to avoid high GL foods. I may avoid high GL
foods for the rest of my life. (As a "paleolithic man"
I am suppose to fuel load with fat, not carbs.)

Who knows, when time comes for me to get brave, I may be
so use to stevia that a real sweetener may taste funny
to me. I could always add a squirt of charcoal lighter
starter fluid. And "we" know that "real" men garble
with charcoal lighter starter fluid before bedtime.
Right?

Sugar alcohols typically give me stomach cramps and
make me fart, so I avoid them. But this one, I am fine
with in herbal tinctures. So, maybe...

Thank you for the tip. I really appreciate it. Someday
I may actually get brave enough. :-)

The "Little Trophy Bride" says "Hi!".

-T

1)